Siblings

Derek watched the way Stiles and Allison interacted. They were truly like siblings. There was a comfort there that reminded him of how he had been with Laura. He wondered how their relationship might have grown had she not been taken from him so soon. A small smile tugged at his lips as he listened to the gentle bickering between the pair in the front seat.

"I'm not saying we lie to her, I'm saying we need to pick and choose the truths we give her," Stiles huffed, one hand waving through the air, while the other held the steering wheel.

"Which truths?" Allison crossed her arms over her chest as she looked at Stiles expectantly.

"We tell her that Gerard has been lying to everyone and Kate is his accomplice."

"And when she asks what he's been lying about?"

"Look, we can tell her most things, but I don't think we should tell her that we're working with Derek," Stiles' tongue ran along his bottom lip as he glanced towards the backseat where Derek was staring out the window as if he didn't hear their conversation.

"So what, we spring it on them after we get their trust? No. We need to be up front about this," Allison turned in her seat to face Derek, "What do you think?"

"What are you doing?" Stiles threw a hand up.

"I'm asking Derek his opinion," Allison raised her brows expectantly at the alpha.

"Since when do you care about his opinion?"

"I think he should get a say," Allison shrugged.

"Since when? You hate him," Stiles scoffed, glancing back at Derek in the mirror.

"What's wrong? Afraid your boyfriend will side with me and not you?" Allison jeered.

Tension flooded into the car like a wave hitting the beach.

Derek tried to hide the frown on his face and ignore the discomfort he could smell rolling off of Stiles.

"Well?" Allison pressed as if she hadn't just said something so taboo.

"I think both of you have good points," Derek swallowed, trying to move past the awkward moment. "But they already don't trust you, or me. If we start by lying, they won't trust anything we say."

"Thank you," Allison grinned widely.

"but if they know you're working with me, they won't listen," Derek continued.

"Exactly," Stiles tossed a hand up.

"So then what do you suggest?" Allison's eyes fixed on the alpha.

"Why are you asking him?" Stiles narrowed his eyes at the huntress.

"He's an alpha for a reason, right?" Allison raised a brow at Derek as if urging him on.

"I say we tell Lydia that you're working with me, but we approach the topic carefully with the others. If she reaches out to the hunters and tells them the situation, then they'll be more willing to listen to us. If she knows everything up front then we clearly weren't trying to hide anything, we were being rightfully cautious."

"Hmm," Allison hummed, "That's actually...smart," She turned back in her seat and glanced at Stiles.

"Yeah, it's a good idea. I say we gather everyone together. Set up a meeting time and place. Let Lydia pass on the information. We can explain everything then," Stiles nodded, both hands now gripping the steering wheel tightly.

"Great, it's settled, but let me do most of the talking with Lydia. She'll be more inclined to listen to me," Allison reached over and gave Stiles' arm a gentle squeeze.