Family

Stiles seemed to untense slightly at Derek's words.

"Wait, they're your family, right?" Stiles asked, his tone somewhat less bitter than it had been.

Derek only nodded.

"Do you have any other family here?"

Derek glanced into the cemetery, towards the far left corner, before stepping past the hunter.

Stiles silently followed. He knew Derek's pack had been large, but he wasn't sure how many of them where actually his family by blood.

When they finally reached a small mausoleum, Stiles' mouth fell open slightly.

Talia Hale, it read.

"She was the alpha that night." Stiles knew that name well. She had been the one they had been garnering a peace treaty with.

"My mother," Derek nodded.

Stiles looked over at the current alpha with a sympathetic frown.

"I wanted to be there so bad. I begged her. She insisted I wasn't old enough. Told me I still had another few years before politics should be of any concern to me. But I wanted to witness history. She made my sister take me out. Me and my younger sister Cora and my cousin Malia."

"You were all supposed to be there," Stiles swallowed at the realization of Gerard's plan. He would have wiped out the entirety of the Hale pack in one go.

"Peter escaped, but he was badly hurt. He tried to get to my niece and nephew who were sleeping upstairs, but he was knocked unconscious on the way up. By the time he woke, he was only able to save himself," Derek didn't look away from his mother's grave as he spoke.

"I'm sorry," Stiles spoke in a voice so quiet if Derek hadn't been a werewolf, he might not have heard.

A silence set over the pair as they stood together.

"Tell me about her," Stiles spoke then.

Derek frowned, glancing at Stiles.

"Something good."

Derek turned back to the stone etching of his mother's name and pondered for a moment.

"Whenever one of us was upset, she would bake. Cora liked cookies, cinnamon raisin. Laura liked strawberry shortcake. And for me, she'd always bake an apple pie. It made the whole house smell amazing," he smiled as if remembering the smell.

"Well I know it's not the same thing, but there's a little bakery a few blocks from here that has amazing baked goods, maybe we could get a slice of pie and figure out what the hell our next step is?" Stiles licked at his bottom lip before glancing at Derek.

Derek quirked a brow and smirked, "Yeah, I think that's a good idea."

At least Stiles was letting Derek stay close and his anger seemed to lessen towards him.

The two walked in silence towards the bakery, Stiles leading the way. The silence wasn't quite awkward, but it was clear there was something unspoken between them. Derek guessed it was the kiss.

They walked almost two blocks as Derek waited for Stiles to bring it up, but the hunter remained quiet. He debated on if he should bring it up himself, but he didn't know what to say. Sorry? Because he wasn't. It wouldn't happen again? He couldn't promise that. Why? He wasn't sure admitting he was starting to develop feelings for the hunter would be wise at this point. So instead he kept his mouth shut and hoped Stiles didn't ask any of those questions himself.

It seemed the gods were on his side as Stiles gestured to a small corner bakery finally.

"There it is."