Protect

Corey looked visibly uncomfortable when he reentered the loft, his phone still held tightly between his hands.

Stiles noticed the tension instantly on his friend, "What's wrong?"

"Chris was with Mason when I called. I spoke with him directly."

This got Derek's attention, along with the attention of all the wolves in the room.

"What did he say?" Stiles pressed gently, his eyes glancing towards Derek briefly.

Corey looked passed Stiles to Derek, "He has your mother's claws. They were found in the rumble of the house. Gerard kept them as a trophy."

Derek took in a slow breath as he fought the snarl in his throat.

"And Kate is out hunting you," Corey turned to Stiles next. "She has her best team with her. She has a 'kill on sight' demand out."

Stiles stiffened a bit, his head rising slightly as if to mask the worry that washed over him. Kate was one of the best hunters. He'd once idolized her because of how good she was. Derek had been the only mark to elude her. Stiles knew that if she found him again, the chances of him surviving weren't good. The last time they'd been one on one and he'd had the upper hand, but this time she would be prepared.

"Tell him I want to meet him," Derek spoke up then, pulling Stiles from his thoughts.

"What?" Cora snapped, stepping towards her brother. "You can't be serious."

"Derek, it's a trap, please you can't. He's working with Kate. He knows Stiles is with you. He thinks you'll lead her to him, don't do this," Jackson piped in next, his tone pleading.

Derek looked at the worried expressions of his pack members and to Stiles.

"Do you trust Chris?"

Stiles swallowed and thought about his answer. He knew if he lied everyone in the room would know.

"It depends," Stiles answered. "I trust Chris wouldn't hurt me. I trust Chris isn't lying about this."

"I'll go with you," Corey offered then, his tone full of worry.

"No. The only two that go are me and Stiles," Derek looked to his pack with a fierce look. "I'm serious. Do not come for us. Do not follow us. If it is a trap, it's easier for two of us to get out of there than a handful."

"Derek, this is suicide," Cora snapped, but her voice waivered with unshed tears.

"This is an opportunity to gain a very powerful ally. I have to try."

"He could kill you," Cora barked back, a tear slipping from her eyes despite her best efforts to prevent it.

"That's why I'm bringing Stiles," Derek glanced at the hunter.

"You trust him to protect you?" Theo sneered, though his tone was laced with concern.

"I do."

Stiles was surprised by the lack of hesitation. He wished he could tell if he was lying. But he knew everyone else in the room could and no one called him out on it. He only wondered if it was out of respect or because he was telling the truth.

"Forgive us if we don't," Erica growled, her eyes glancing to Stiles.

"You're forgiven," Derek turned then to Corey. "Tell Chris to meet me at the Cemetery at nightfall. Mason is the only one he's allowed to bring."

Corey nodded before slipping back out onto the balcony.

"Derek, I don't mean to question you, but are you sure you should take Stiles and not someone else?" Boyd spoke up gently.

Derek frowned at the beta. Boyd rarely questioned Derek unless for good reason.

"He said if I go to this meeting, he goes with me or I don't go at all. In case you haven't noticed, he doesn't answer to me, so I find it easier to compromise," Derek sighed, gesturing to the hunter.

"Right, but..." Boyd turned to Stiles next, "Stiles, if I may. You aren't as subtle as you think in hiding your emotions. Though you're getting better. It's impressive really, how quickly you can get your heartbeat back to normal and how you shift your moods so quickly its hard to follow however, you're no expert."

Stiles' jaw clenched. He hadn't realized anyone noticed how he had been trying to manipulate his emotions and heartbeat to keep from being read so easily.

"It's okay to be afraid. Kate is a terrifying person and your last encounter left you...well, I need not remind you. If she is out hunting you as they claimed, I don't know that it's wise for you to be out. The safest place for you is here," Boyd offered a sympathetic smile.

Stiles' hands clenched at his sides.

"Derek doesn't need you," Jackson added with a sneer.

Stiles turned to the werewolf and took a step forward.

"I won't let Derek go out there alone. I know Kate better than anyone, hell I wanted to be her, so I studied her. And I know Chris. He raised me. I know I'm just a hunter to you all. Just a human. But I'm the best one here to protect Derek. And I have nothing to live for other than to see them go down. Derek has all of you. So, tell me why I should sit here and twiddle my thumbs while he's out there risking his life?"

The room was silent.

"I'm glad we're clear," with that Stiles turned and stalked out of the loft door, heading toward his own living quarters.

A swell of pride and yearning filled Derek as he watched the hunter leave. He loved that Stiles was so willing to fight for him, but he hated that he felt like he had nothing to live for. He wanted to change that.

Stiles sat on the edge of his bed and tried to keep his hands from shaking. The thought of Chris and Derek talking terrified him. But nothing terrified him like the idea of running into Kate again. He had tried to hide how truly scared he was but the idea that she was out hunting him like one of the packs she went after was a terrifying thought. She was ruthless. This was much more personal. He hated to imagine how much more ruthless she could get.

At least he wouldn't be alone. Derek would be with him. Somehow that thought comforted him more than it should have. Not only did did give him a comfort of not being alone, but a protective anger rose in him. A feeling like he wouldn't let anything happen to Derek no matter what. He wondered when the fierce protectiveness of the alpha had started to develop. It unnerved him a bit but maybe, just maybe it was what would save their lives.

*AN
Hey guys sorry I haven't updated in a while, life has been...well life. Plus school has started back and that is hell cause the world is still broken so updates will definitely be slower since I'm homeschooling my son atm. Thank you for your patience.