What if?

Stiles' feet snapped through the underbrush with no regard for the dangers that likely awaited him. He knew Derek was watching him and he knew if Derek wanted him dead, he'd be dead already. So, with no weapons, he marched into the barely lit swell of trees.

Throwing his hands up he shouted, "I know you're out there. You told me to expand my research, well here I am!"

"Are you trying to get yourself killed?" A voice asked from Stiles' left, causing him to whip around to see a set of yellow eyes step out of the shadows.

Stiles regretted not having his blades with him as this wasn't Derek. However, as the wolf stepped closer, he recognized him.

"I want to talk to Derek," Stiles demanded not backing away though every instinct in his body told him to.

"Why?" The beta asked, tilting his head slightly.

"I want answers."

Scott. Stiles thought to himself. The wolf's name was Scott.

The beta only glared, "You won't believe him."

Stiles swallowed as he tried a different approach, "Scott, there are children in that graveyard. I want to know why." His hands clenched at his sides.

The wolf stiffened at the use of his name.

"You know why," Derek's voice spoke up from behind Stiles then.

The hunter took a step back and to the right. He didn't like having wolves on either side of him with no weapons.

"What happened to staying back?" Scott growled at his alpha.

"He's unarmed," Derek spoke calmly stepping in closer to Stiles.

Stiles tried to ignore the way his skin pricked with uncertainty. He knew Derek didn't want him dead. Though he wasn't entirely sure why.

"Who were Lily and Liam?" Stiles didn't bother wasting any time. He needed answers.

"My niece and nephew," Derek answered simply.

"Peter," It wasn't posed as a question, but Derek nodded in confirmation.

"They died the day of the fire. How?"

Derek's jaw clenched slightly, and this throat bobbed with an uncertain swallow. "I told you, expand your research and you'll find the answers you're looking for."

"Stop being so fucking cryptic and just tell me what happened," Stiles snapped.

A smirk tugged at Derek's lips but before he could answer Stiles' name could be heard near where his jeep was.

Derek perked his ears before turning back to the hunter, "Until next time."

Stiles' shoulders slumped as he made his way back into the graveyard.

"Mason, hey, what's up?" He jogged over to the other hunter.

"I saw your jeep and wanted to make sure you were okay. You don't typically come here unless..." Mason trailed off, his eyes skirting the yard. "Why were you in the woods?"

"I thought I heard something," Stiles shrugged.

"Right," Mason glanced down to see Stiles unarmed, but made no comment. "How's the Hale pack hunt going? Any new developments?"

Stiles glanced over at where he'd found the graves of Peter's family. "Unfortunately, no. I came out here to try and I dunno...get some answers," he shrugged turning back to Mason. "I've never actually visited any of the graves of the hunters who died in the Hale House fire."

"Oh, I don't guess I have either," Mason frowned slightly, his eyes flitting over a few nearby names, but none of them stood out to him.

"Well, they didn't do much to help so I should be heading home," Stiles clapped a hand on Mason's shoulder before stepping past the younger hunter.

"Stiles," Mason's voice caused him to pause at the door of his jeep. "If you ever need help, I'm always here. You're not alone. I know you have Allison, but you have me too."

Stiles turned to dismiss Mason like he normally would, but the other hunter was already retreating.

Normally Stiles would believe that if he called Mason or most of the hunters he knew, that he could get them to help with just about any hunt however this wasn't just any hunt. This was more than that. This was something that even Stiles didn't know what it was. But he was going to find out.

-

That night Stiles barely slept, his mind reeling from the day's events. He played it over and over. He tried to imagine what could have warranted taking the lives of two small children, but nothing came to mind.

"They toy with your mind, they manipulate their prey, that's you." Gerard's voice spoke so clearly in Stiles' head he could have been in the room.

What if Derek had known Stiles would go to the cemetery. He'd been following him, after all. What if Derek wanted him to see the graves? What if their deaths had been unrelated to the fire? What if this was a ploy to get Stiles to trust Derek? But why?

Stiles reached for his phone, his fingers trailing over the familiar numbers of his best friend, but before he could press the call button he hesitated.

"Fuck," he swore to himself. There should never be hesitation when it came to calling Allison and yet he found himself cancelling the call before he even made it. He could trust her.

But she would never approve of him talking with Derek the way he had the past few times, he could have killed Derek and yet the alpha remained alive and well.

Shaking fingers ran through his tousled brown hair, tugging in frustration as he went. He sat up in the dark, his hand now falling to grip at the mattress on either side of him, his feet swung over the edge. The floor was cool on the bottom of his feet. It felt good. Cooling his overheated body, pent up with the overwhelming stress.

He hadn't felt so alone. Half of him told him that he couldn't trust Derek and the other half told him that something didn't add up and that he needed to dig deeper.

Digging deeper is what got his father killed. Why would Derek want Stiles to dig deeper if he had his father killed for doing just that?

Stiles pushed off the bed with a heavy sigh. He made his way to his bathroom, squinting at the light as it illuminated the small room. He opened a drawer, pulling out a pill bottle.

Dr. Yukimura. Ativan.

Stiles opened the bottle, fishing out a small white pill. He placed it on his tongue before turning on the faucet and cupping a hand under to catch the water.

He tossed the water into his mouth, sending the pill down his throat. The familiarity of this routine almost made him sick. He hadn't taken his anxiety medicine in a long time. Kira's dad had prescribed it to him to help after his dad died. Mostly as an 'as needed' however he'd sent himself into a fit of depression with how much he was taking. With a bit of therapy and a healthy amount of hobbies Stiles had managed to dial back the amount of need for the medicine but it came in handy during bad times.

Now was definitely one of those times.

He glanced at his reflection in the mirror above the sink and saw his mother's chocolate brown eyes staring at him. He favored her more than he did his father, always had.

His eyes dropped to the silver pendant around his neck then, and a new swell of confidence filled him. He wouldn't let Derek sway him. He would go on as if the day hadn't happened. He couldn't let the wolf under his skin. He was just being manipulated. 

*AN*
Hey guys, I'm gonna leaving in a few days to visit my best friend, so I may not get to update again before I get back.