Beliefs

Alone sitting on his bed, Stiles finally felt like he could breathe. The crushing weight of seeing Chris, however, hit him in the gut like a punch. The man had raised him. Had loved him like his own, or so it felt. He claimed to not know about the fire or his father's death. Stiles had seen the realization dawn on him. The pain of it, sinking in.

Normally he would have reached out, comforted the man. But his lack of trust had kept him planted.

Trust, it was a funny thing. Only a week ago he didn't trust Derek and yet tonight as he left Mason's he insisted that the alpha was the only one he trusted.

"Stiles, please tell me you're not serious," Chris stood from his spot on the couch, concern dripping from his voice.

Stiles' jaw clenched, but he remained silent.

"I know that what Kate and Gerard did was-" Chris cut himself off, unable to say it. "But that doesn't make Derek your friend."

"You're right, it doesn't. I don't have any friends. I only have my instincts. You taught me that," Stiles steadied a glare on Chris who looked ready to challenge that.

Allison who had been silent stepped in, placing a hand on her father's arm. "Maybe you should trust Stiles."

"You knew," Chris turned accusing eyes towards his daughter.

She dropped her head in shame.

"You knew Stiles was with Derek Hale and you didn't tell me?" Chris's voice raised slightly. His tone was one he often used when they were children and he had caught them doing something he had specifically told them not to.

"I didn't know where they were just that they were together," Allison glanced at Stiles and then back to her father.

"He could have been in danger," Chris growled.

"I don't think so," Allison shook her head, "Derek seemed...calm. Stiles was angry when he saw me...Derek was...logical and he was concerned for Stiles."

"You saw him?" Chris turned to look at Stiles now as if he would provide an explanation.

"He's the only one I could trust," Stiles answered simply. "You have to understand that."

"He took me in," Corey piped in then. He was still clinging to Mason's arm. "He's gentle and he cares about all of us. His pack is-"

"Corey," Stiles snapped cutting the younger beta off. He didn't need to be telling Chris anything about Derek's pack.

"Stiles, listen to me, I know you feel betrayed right now but Derek is still-"

"Still what? My enemy? No, he's not," Stiles barked, cutting Chris off. "He's the one who told me that things weren't as they seemed. He let me discover the truth for myself. He didn't manipulate me. He didn't lie to me. He didn't kill me when I showed up at his door half dead. He's helping me. He took in Corey without a second's hesitation. As much as it may pain me to admit it, I trust him."

Chris looked like he wanted to argue further but he knew that look, it was a look he'd seen on Stiles face before. One that said he wouldn't be swayed.

"Then at least trust me too?" Chris pleaded gently. "Let me help you."

Stiles didn't respond. The ache in his chest wanted him to say 'yes, of course', but he just couldn't. Not with so much at risk. Derek would never agree with it, and he just didn't know if he could trust Chris, not after everything.