File

The police station hadn't changed much in the past several years. The brick had been painted but the old sign out front was still the same. The two light fixtures that sat outside the double doors hadn't changed. Even the potted plants that sat just inside the glass doors were the same.

Stiles hadn't been here since before his father's death. He could barely believe he was here now. Pushing open the door to his jeep, he headed for the familiar building.

He remembered waiting here after school for his dad to finish up reports. He remembered the deputies that would help him with his homework when his dad was called out of the office.

Stiles shoved the doors open and felt the wave of nausea hit him like a ton of bricks, coupled with a bout of dizziness. He took a moment to steady himself.

"Stilinski?" The name yanked Stiles' head to his left. Making it swim. Catching himself on the counter, he forced a smile.

Officer Williams was standing a few feet away with a confused stare.

Williams had been one of the officer's tasked with delivering the news that fateful night.

"Williams, right?" Stiles straightened his posture, wishing like hell he'd taken more than one Ativan before coming here.

"What can I do for you?" Williams stepped forward, his attention fully on Stiles.

Stiles noted the way the man had aged. His blonde hair had thinned a bit and his laugh lines were more prominent.

"I know it's...not exactly kosher, but I was hoping...if you had any of my dad's old case files...I could really use them," Stiles hadn't expected much but seeing as how he got one of the officer's tasked with telling him his dad died, he hoped he could gain some favor.

"I'm not really supposed to do that. Is there something in particular you're looking for?" The officer leaned in, glancing around. "I might be able to pull a file or two but..."

"That's perfect, I really only need one," Stiles looked hopeful. "The Hale House Fire."

The slight frown on Williams' face didn't go unnoticed by Stiles.

"What is it?" Stiles pressed, stepping in.

"That file went missing the day your dad..." Williams trailed off.

"I spent weeks trying to hunt that thing down. It's gone. Like it never existed."

Stiles' jaw clenched. "Thank you for your time." He turned to leave but Williams caught his arm.

"If there's anything else..."

"Thanks."

"And if you find that file..."

"Sure thing," Stiles nodded before pulling from the officer's grasp. He didn't want to say it but if Williams knew what was best for him, he wouldn't look into that file. It was what got Stiles' father killed.

Stiles was sure he was at the end of the road. He'd exhausted all his resources. How much further could he expand his research?

Stiles pulled out a page from his back pocket with a single address on it. It had taken him a while to finally get this. But once he found out that Derek was keeping tabs on him, he stopped trying to physically track him and started to try and track him through the internet. As it turned out, Derek Hale left a digital paper trail. Though not much of one and it took Stiles' level of hacking to find him, but he managed to.

The address was reserved for when Stiles really needed it, when he was desperate. But what defined desperate? He felt pretty desperate at the moment.

The sun was starting to set, and he could get there by the time it was completely dark, there was a chance the place would be completely empty or at least mostly. That was safer than if everyone was there. Assuming this was where the alpha was staying.

"Stiles," A familiar voice startled Stiles from his thoughts.

He quickly folded the paper and shoved it back into his pocket. "Donovan, Allison send you?"

Donovan tilted his head slightly, "Gerard, actually. He wants to know how things are going with the assignment. You've gone quiet."

"How'd you know I was here?" Stiles avoided the question. He was getting really tired of being followed.

"I was on my way to your apartment and saw your jeep," Donovan gestured at Stiles' vehicle.

Stiles relaxed some. That made sense. "I'm trying to gather more intel on Derek's pack."

"That's why you're here?" Donovan looked over at the station.

"Hoping my dad's old files had something," Stiles shrugged vaguely. "I was wrong."

Donovan nodded. "You know, I could help. I'm pretty good with-"

"I'm doing this one solo, thanks anyway," Stiles cut in, before heading for his jeep.

Donovan reached out for Stiles' hand. "You don't have to is what I'm saying. It doesn't have to be official. Our little secret," his eyes dropped to Stiles' lips briefly.

"I don't think that's a good idea," Stiles pulled his hand from the other hunter's.

"Afraid I'll get hurt, or you will?"

"I know you'll get hurt, and I don't need that on my conscience," Stiles answered simply, pulling open his door.

"How long are you going to make me follow you around?" Donovan huffed then, causing Stiles to pause.

"What?"

"Go out with me."

"I'm pretty sure Gerard sent you to get information, not a date," Stiles narrowed his eyes.

"Agree to a date and I'll tell him you're close," Donovan took a step forward, his eyes dropping to Stiles' once more.

"Or I could give you the actual information he asked for."

"I won't tell him."

"So, you're black mailing me into dating you. That's always a great start to a relationship. I'll give him the information myself," Stiles started to climb into his jeep when Donovan reached out, grabbing Stiles' belt loop to keep him from getting into the jeep.

"You're right, I'm sorry. Forgive me?" Donovan apologized and then held his hands up in surrender before taking a step back.

"Donovan, wait," Stiles sighed, before grabbing Donovan by the jacket and pressing him against the side of the jeep. His lips suddenly attaching to Donovan's.

Stiles then shoved the other hunter away from him and slipped a folded sheet of paper from his jacket pocket in the process.

"Nice try. Don't steal from me again or the only thing connecting with your mouth will be my fist. Do you understand?"

Donovan looked so dazed; Stiles wasn't sure he actually heard what he said.

Stiles climbed into the jeep leaving Donovan to recover on his own, when suddenly an idea hit him. What if whoever had his dad killed did the same thing he just did to Donovan?

Donovan used a common thief tactic use contact to cover the removal contact, but Stiles felt him take the paper from his back pocket. However, in order to get it back he used a bigger action to distract from the smaller one. A kiss to distract from the removal of the paper. Donovan had no clue. What if his dad's death was just as much about getting rid of evidence as it was about getting rid of the one collecting it? While everyone was making a fuss over the death of the sheriff, someone was stealing the file.

That meant Stiles had to find out who was at the station the night his father was killed.

*AN*
Here you go! Hope you like it!