Too late

The following morning Stiles was up too early. He'd barely slept three hours. The distant sound of voices told him the rest of Derek's pack was up as well. He rolled over, in no rush to get out of bed. He didn't even know what to do today. He knew that everyone would be expecting answers from him now that Kate was out of the hospital, but he just didn't have any.

He eyed the silver necklace that laid on the side table next to him. His jaw clenched as he thought about what Derek had said.

Squeezing his eyes shut, he threw the blankets off of him. He rarely felt so lost. The last time he felt this lost he went to the cemetery to visit his dad's grave. There he'd found answers to things he hadn't considered asking. Maybe he should start there.

When he entered the loft where Derek and his pack were gathered, he could see two members whom he remembered to be Jackson and Theo in an arm-wrestling match. Jackson appeared to be winning. Cora, Erica, Malia and Brett were egging them on. In another corner Corey was sidled up next to Hayden, Liam and Lori at the table looking at a large book Stiles couldn't make out from where he stood. Scott and Isaac were setting a large table that sat in front of the bay window while Boyd and Derek were in the kitchen preparing breakfast.

No one paid him any mind as he walked in except Derek who glanced up at him before turning back to what he was doing.

Stiles noted how the dynamic of the room radiated found family. Derek had brought all these people together and given them a home. He'd never seen something like this. Even Corey had fallen into the dynamic so effortlessly, like he'd always been a part of it.

A loud cheer from Cora, Erica, Malia and Brett at Jackson's victory caused Stiles to jump, pulling him from his thoughts. His hand landing instinctually on his thigh where one of his daggers was holstered.

He immediately released it before anyone could notice. He didn't need to garner anymore distrust. He was just a bit hypervigilant at the moment. He blamed the news of Kate's release.

"You just gonna stand there, or are you gonna come in? We won't bite," Erica finally spoke towards Stiles, when he hadn't made a move to enter the room.

Stiles swallowed as all eyes lifted to look at him, his presence now known.

"I-umm, I'm-" Stiles fumbled his words a bit, looking for the right thing to say, "I'm going out. I wanted to let you know," he swallowed again.

"Wow, you did it, Derek. You broke him like a bad horse," Theo snorted from his place next to Erica.

"Quiet," Derek's voice boomed in a way Stiles hadn't heard before.

Theo's mouth snapped shut and the smirk he'd been sporting wiped off his face.

"It's called respect, something you could stand to learn," Derek glared at the beta, as he stepped around the counter.

Stiles' jaw was clenched but he remained silent. He hated Theo, that was official.

Derek made his way towards Stiles. "Are you sure that's a good idea right now? Kate's out and we don't know what her next move is gonna be."

His tone was gentler than it had been a second ago. It almost made Stiles think he was talking to someone else entirely.

"It's not far. I just...I need to get out for a bit. Clear my head. I promise I'm not meeting anyone," Stiles decided the more civil he kept this, the less Derek would resist.

"I don't suppose you'd agree to company?" Derek asked.

"I don't need a babysitter," Stiles growled out.