Enemies

There was a silent tension that hung in the air during the short car ride towards the cemetery. Stiles didn't bother trying to break it. He knew it was better than letting Derek get close, which is what the alpha had been trying to do it seemed.

Derek parked the car a couple blocks from the cemetery and Stiles went to step out of the car when a hand grabbed his wrist.

Stiles turned to look at Derek, his eyes glancing from where the alpha was gripping him, to his eyes.

"Be careful. I know you don't believe me, but I do care what happens to you," Derek released Stiles then before pushing his own door open.

Stiles' heart flipped in his chest and he forced the feeling down. What game was Derek playing at?

"I'll do a sweep, you keep an eye on the cemetery, once I think it's clear, I'll meet you at the back," Derek jogged off before Stiles could argue.

The hunter swallowed, his eyes scanning for any figure that seemed out of place or that might be suspicious. When he was satisfied there were none, he made his way to a shop across the street and then from there he scanned again. His eyes took in each person, prepared to fight at any moment if necessary.

When he was satisfied that no one was watching or looking for him, he started for the cemetery. Continuing to scan for anyone working for Kate or Gerard he was careful to call any suspicion to himself.

Once he got to the cemetery, he was relieved to see that it was empty. He had worried that it would be swarming with hunters.

Stepping inside, he made his way through, passing the graves without a second look, except for one. One that he had visited so many times. He couldn't stop and talk now though, he had to keep an eye out, so he kept walking. As he reached the back entrance, Derek stepped out of the shadows.

"Nothing," he spoke with a suspicious tone.

"Same," Stiles nodded, glancing over his shoulder as if he might have missed something.

"So what's our play?" Derek asked, noticing Stiles' growing discomfort as his eyes continued to scan over and over.

"I think you should meet him alone. Give him the impression you're alone. Also, I'll stay close by and continue to perimeter sweep just in case he brings backup later. The trap might be after and not before. Especially if he thinks you'll suspect it."

"No, I'm not leaving you to run into hunters alone," Derek snapped. There was no part of that plan that he liked.

"If I see them before they can set up a solid perimeter, I can warn you," Stiles huffed, finally turning his attention to Derek, his eyes stopping their scan for the first time.

"I don't like it," Derek growled.

"I'm not asking you to."

Before Derek could object further a familiar SUV pulled into the front parking lot.

"He's here," Stiles grabbed Derek's arm this time, his eyes not leaving the front of the cemetery.

Derek waited to see if Stiles would say anything, but he remained silent. However, the nervous scent rolling off of him told Derek everything he needed to know.

"Don't go far," Derek spoke softly, his hand landing on Stiles' that was still clinging to his forearm for dear life.

Stiles, as if realizing what he was doing, quickly pulled his hand away and nodded before turning and dashing for the woods.

A warmth filled Derek as he started for the front entrance to meet Chris Argent. That warmth seemed to burn away some of the anxiety he'd been feeling.

As he reached the front, Chris stepped from around his vehicle and all the anxiety came rushing back, however it was tempered by the fact that Chris wasn't surrounded by hunters.

"You're alone," Derek frowned.

"You sound disappointed," Chris stepped forward carefully.

"Surprised," Derek corrected.

"You're also alone," Chris noted, glancing around as if proving his point.

Derek remained silent. He didn't want to agree, that would be lying. He didn't want to disagree either because that would give away the fact that Stiles was nearby.

"I should warn you though, I did come armed," Chris lifted his jacket to reveal a holstered gun on his hip.

"I thought guns were your sister's weapon of choice?" Derek frowned.

"I do prefer a bow when hunting, but I'm not hunting. This is purely for self-defense, if needed. You understand."

Derek gave a nod, "Shall we discuss what we came here to discuss then? I'm very interested to see if you have what you say you have."

"Of course," Chris nodded and stepped sideways towards his vehicle without turning his back to Derek. He opened the passengers side door and pulled out a small round wooden box.

Derek frowned as Chris stepped closer to him. On the top of the box was the familiar triskelion symbol.

"I'm assuming you want something in return," Derek looked at Chris expectantly.

"Two things actually," Chris nodded.

Derek lifted his chin, bracing for the worst. He expected Chris was going to want Stiles and Corey in exchange for the box. Neither of which he was willing to give up.

"One is your trust. I know that's not so easy, but this could be at least a start."

Derek raised his brows. "Okay. And the other?"

"Look after him."

Derek frowned now.

"You could easily kill me, but I'm guessing the only reason you haven't is because of him. I don't know what...arrangement you two might have, but this fight will get messy, and I don't know that he's going to let me keep him safe. So promise me you will?" Chris looked genuinely upset and Derek could smell the concern and hurt from him.

"I will," Derek agreed.

"Thank you," Chris gave a sad sort of smile and handed over the box.

"Why help me? I'm the enemy?"

Chris dropped his eyes to the ground. "There was a time when I thought that to be true, but the more I learn of my father, the more I think that we're the enemy. It may be too late to fix that, but maybe I can stop it."

"Like I once told Stiles, it's never too late."

"You know it's funny, Stiles once told me you weren't the enemy I thought you to be. I never imagined him to be right, yet here we are, alone, exchanging conversation like we aren't mortal enemies. I hope you're right, Derek, I hope it's not too late."

*AN*
Sorry it's been so long. I'm dealing with a lot of health issues/complications with my eyes and glasses aren't really helping like we hoped. Reading and writing is very painful and difficult so thank you for your patience.