62- The World

Written: 3/20/21

Published: 5/5/21

(What upppppppp)

Ever since I became an official soldier, I told myself I would fight for humanity. I fought, saved lives, lived, had enjoyable moments every now and then. I wanted to save humanity. I really did. I want to see Levi and the others happy. Even if I died, if they were happy, I'd see that as an acceptable option. However... When Marco died, I felt it was my responsibility. I know I wasn't even his superior quite yet nor was I anywhere around. But he still died. Now I've lost another and almost lost two more. I don't want to lose anymore! No matter what it takes, I will protect them. Take my arm, my leg, my life. Just no more of them!

      Y/n and Levi were together near the wall. It produced strong shade, making it a bit chilly. The pair was looking at the disintegrated titan carcass. It had been a few hours since they injected Armin. The last bits of the skeletons of the colossal and Armin finally dissolved into nothingness. The hardened titan in the wall still remained. Her squad mates were looking for any survivors on both fronts.

     "Is it really, finally over?" She whispered.

      Y/n felt strong arms wrap around her. Levi patted her head with his other hand. "It is. The enemies are gone. No more death today."

     Y/n hugged him back. The two siblings stayed like that for awhile. The whole morning, they had been fighting against brutal enemies, using their brains beyond their limit. All to survive and retake something. Here they were, finally accomplished. They could, for this moment, rest easy.

     Y/n heard voices on top the wall. She pulled away. "Let's go."

    Levi nodded. The two pulled out their ODM gear and hooked into the wall. They reeled up top and stepped on the stone. They saw the sight of Eren hugging Armin tightly.

    "So he's up." Levi said.

     "Captains..." The two synchronized.

    The squad leaders approached the two. Levi dug in his jacket. "What's going on?" Armin asked. "I don't remember any of this happening."

     "I doubted you would." Y/n mumbled. "It's good to see you awake, though." Armin embarrassedly looked down. Levi shot the flare into the sky. "Eren. Please tell him. Don't hold anything back."

     Eren gave Armin a brief summary to Armin. The Beast Titan, the Colossal Titan, the Armored Titan, taking down the three, and... Bertholdt. The rest of the eleven alive had gathered on top of the wall, surrounding the blond.

    "Umm..." Armin muttered. "So... You're telling me... the survey corps is now... just the twelve of us here?"

     "For now, yes." Jean clarified. "It's been four hours since the battle ended. We spent it all looking for survivors, but none." Connie leaned down and gave Sasha a drink. Levi and Y/n checked on Erwin's wounds quickly. He was doing well.

     "So, the gate to Shiganshina is sealed." Armin said. "You assume Reiner, the Beast Titan, and one other have fled. You successfully captured Bertholdt. When... both Commander Erwin and I were on the brink of death... after a disagreement about... who should receive the injection... I turned into a titan... and ate Bertholdt."

     Y/n saw the horror in the young blond's face. His voice quavered when he spoke about consuming his former friend. His hand came up to his mouth as he nearly vomited. Y/n handed him a bottle of water. He took it and gulped it down.

    "Why... Did you choose me?" Armin asked. "Wouldn't anyone look at the situation... and decide to heal Commander Erwin?" He turned to Levi and Y/n, pleading eyes. "Captains!! Why did you give the injection to me?!"