34- ODM Assessment

Written: 12/15/20

Published: 12/17/20

The head instructor's voice wasn't feeling very well so he had Y/n lead the physical lesson today. The soldier had the cadets line up in front of a large, rocky cliff. Y/n had her ODM gear on. Everyone was instructed to wake up at 5:00, no later. Y/n could see the bags under everyone's eyes. She clapped her hands loud, grabbing the attention of the cadets.

"Listen up. I was ordered to put you in grueling work to get your bodies prepared to take the challenge of the ODM gear." Y/n explained. Some groans erupted from the cadets. "Oi. This will help you not... You know, not die." Y/n bluntly announced. "Now, you all are going to be strapped into a harness as you climb this cliff. You are not allowed to push each other. Understood?" The cadets returned nodded to the assistant head instructor.

Y/n strapped all the cadets into their harnesses. She then ordered the cadets to get moving already. To keep an eye on them, she would go around and check on each cadet, instructing what not to do, how to do it, and so on. However, she heard an unusual, brief sound. She quickly scanned her eyes over the cadets and saw Daz shaking. He was holding on for dear life, being kind of high up- enough to cause a serious injury. His harness malfunctioned and the prusik snapped. Y/n quickly took action and swooped the shaking boy.

     Daz shook in Y/n's arms. "T-T-Thank y-you, assistant head instructor Ackermann!!" He said.

The girl placed Daz on the ground. "I have to go supervise the other cadets. Can you take this to the engineers for fixing?" Y/n instructed as she handed Daz the harness. He nodded and frantically ran off.

The rest of the day went swell. The cadets followed Y/n's orders and, as predicted, the teenagers were so sore that they couldn't move the next day. In fact, some of the boys were so sore they begged Y/n to carry them to the classroom. Y/n took their hands and dragged them through the dirt.

While the 104th batch were learning about titan anatomy, Y/n was called to Shadis' office. She now stood before him with his back to her, staring out the window.

"We will be training the cadets on the ODM gear tomorrow. I would like to ignite a test on young Jaeger." Shadis informed. He handed her a broken belt. She examined it. By the looks of it, this will make it possible for the user to fall upside down. Y/n looked at the head instructor. "I would like to see the extent of his passion to be a soldier."

"Okay, why did you call me here, then?" Y/n asked.

"I don't want you to yell at me for it later nor divulge my intentions. I need you to ensure that Jaeger has this belt during practice as well as the balance test." Shadis explained. "Calling this out during the test would defeat the purpose as well."

Y/n nodded. "Understood..."

~~Timeskip~~

The cadets were learning the ODM Gear and Y/n felt a pride for many of them. However... when she saw a certain hotheaded brunette, she felt a pang of guilt. Eren had an absolutely horrified face on. His face showed as if he would never walk again. The captain walked up to the upside down boy.

"Eren, what you are doing?" Y/n said. "Right yourself." She ordered.

He looked at her. "I-I don't know... I can't seem to get back up..."

Y/n's eyes trailed to the belt. It was doing its incorrect job perfectly. She gave him a word of encouragement and moved on to the others. Mikasa seems to have natural instinct on the gear. Everyone else seemed a bit wobbly, but were still steady. Y/n was relieved.