3- Recuperation

Published 11/19/20

      One day, their mother came home from work, looking quite exhausted and ill. The next day, the kids noticed a substantial difference in their mother's movements. She didn't seem as energetic and gleeful as before. She was rather sluggish and seemed weaker than usual. She didn't even notice the two kids walk up to her.

     "Mother... are you okay?" Y/n asked, full of worry and concern. She tugged on her shirt.

     Kuchel simply nodded and smiled, returning to her work. This caused Levi and Y/n to glance at each other in wonder. They asked Kuchel to sit down for awhile and take a break, so she did. The kids, not knowing how to do her daily work, attempted to finish her chores. Occasionally, they would look back to check up on their mother. She was asleep. The kids simply passed it off as she was tired and needed a break. Alas, they were unaware of the fact she had come down with something. Something awful and lethal.

       When Kuchel woke up, she was still weak, despite sleeping for an extra few hours. Somehow, her condition was worse. She attempted to stand up but it didn't work. Her legs buckled from the weight, causing her to fall onto the ground with a thud. Pain shot through her entire body. She felt her energy being sapped from her.

      The two children heard a thud from the room their dear mother was in. It startled them to say the least. Without hesitation, they rushed into the room. What they saw made them panic. Their mother on the floor most likely unconscious. Her chest was rapidly heaving up and down.

      "What do we do, Levi!?" Y/n cried, hands to her face. Panic surged through her chest.

     "I-I don't know!" Levi exclaimed. "Let's get a doctor!"

      He darted out of the house and into the streets, leaving Y/n with their poor, sick mother.

       Y/n did not know what to do since she has never had to take care of someone before. So she simply did what any other child would do and carried her mother to her bed. To her, the bed is a cure-all or something of the sort. The weight on the young girl strained her muscles, but she did not care. It was only for a short time and this was vital. She laid her mother on her bed and pulled the covers to her mother's neck. She looked awfully pale... Could she be? No. Mother is strong. She is alive and this will be over very soon.

      A burst through the house made Y/n jump. However, when she heard Levi calling for her, asking where she was, she was relieved. She called Levi in and he had a young man behind him. The man shooed them out of the room and closed the door.

      The children were left standing outside the door. Y/n looked over at Levi. His eyes... they were dull. She had never seen him so... so... empty... He had always been so strong for the two of them. To seem him like this broke both Y/n's heart and hope. She thought conversation would be good for both of them.

      "Where did you find him?" Y/n asked.

       "On the street." Levi replied. He didn't try to mask his huffing and panting from running throughout the streets of the Underground.

"Sounds shady."

      When what seemed like hours passed by before the door opened. Levi and Y/n instantly shot up to look at the man and hopefully go inside to see their mother. What they saw on the man's countenance was not relief or happiness. They saw pity and sorrow. It scared them.

     "Her valediction is, 'Be free.'" He told.

     From the man's perspective, he saw both the kids pupils constrict. That one action (or two since it's two kids) made it even harder for the man despite not knowing any of them. He merely smiled, apologized to them, and walked out. The kids watched him leave and instantly remembered their mother. Levi, being older than Y/n, at least knew about heartbeats. He rushed over to Kuchel. Her face pale like a ghost, chest not heaving up or down. It was quite frightening for Y/n not knowing what he was doing. He slammed his head sideways onto her chest. He closed his eyes and sank to the floor. "She's gone?" She asked, voice a bit shaky. He nodded. Y/n felt tears tickle her eyes. She sniffled as tears ran down her cheeks, and dripped onto the ground. The h/c haired girl took Levi's hand, leading him to the opposite side of the room. They both sat down. Levi's legs pulled to his chest, and Y/n's arm around him. They sat there in silence, in thought, in grief.