17. Dinner Goes Swell

TW: abuse mentions/actions

Luna stood at the entrance with Momo, holding her by the shoulders.
"I'm not letting you leave until you repeat after me." She said, dead serious. "I am so capable."
"I am so capable..." Momo repeated hesitantly.
"I am so sexy."
"I am so.. wait- what..?"
"One fight does not determine my worth as a person or a student."
She looked down. "...One fight does not determine my worth as a person or a student."
"Remember that, okay? You're a bad bitch, Momo. You're the smartest person I know, and I've met like, at least ten pro heroes."
Momo smiled slightly. "Thanks, Kanazuki."
"There's that smile!!" Luna grinned.
"LunA!!" She cringed at the sound of her name.
"Gotta go, bye!" She hugged her friend tightly before bolting to the car.
She got in the passenger's seat, waiting for her mother to start it.
"Mo-"
She felt the gust of air hit her gently before the hand did, not as gently. "I came here for nothing.."
Luna's lip quivered, and she focused hard at the lip balm in the cupholder, willing herself not to tear up. This is only the first one, don't break so soon.
"What, are you gonna get sad? Show me your eyes."
She looked her mother dead in the eyes, the color gray the only thing she knew she would feel for a while.

"Pretty please, Janie?? Brian's mom is here and she really wants to meet the family."
Simon groaned. "When is it?"
"In an hour."
"You couldn't have told me sooner??"
"Hehe, sorry. Make sure to wear something fancy, ok? This restaurant's super sophisticated and stuff and I spent like a bajillion dollars to get us a table." Amara bit her lip, nervous. "This is my mother-in-law, Janie. I really want her to like me, you know?"
Simon whined.
The only dress I own will have to do..
It was white with a weird, tiny floral print on it, so definitely a bit too ugly, but it wasn't like she was dining with the queen.

Luna sat in the chair, fiddling with the wine glass she wouldn't be able to use later. This dress is so itchy... and I hate this shade of pink... it's so bright.
"I'm so so sorry I'm late!! I got held up at an intersection by my apartment." Simon slid into the chair across from her, looking just as uncomfortable as she felt.
"No worries, we haven't even ordered our food yet." Luna's mom smiled, not warm, but kind enough.
They called the waiter to them, and each got a menu. Luna heard a scoff as she asked if they had a kid's menu.
"You eat like a child."
"I am a child?"
And so the dinner went on, mostly Amara and Luna's mom chatting away. Simon watched silently as Amara claimed to love things like broccoli and soap operas, which she hated.
The atmosphere was sweetly toxic.
"So, Simon, how have you been doing back in Japan?"
"Oh it's been so much better than I thought it would be! I really love my new job, the kids are wonderful."
"Except one, I assume.." The woman laughed like she didn't mean it.
"That Luna really is a handful sometimes." Simon tried to joke, her mom adjusting almost triumphantly.
"Tell me about it." Her tone changed. "Doesn't care about anything, that girl."
That girl?? Luna's right there!
"Oh, by the way, Luna, I wanted to congratulate you on how you did at the festival today!" Simon attempted to change the topic, trying to read the girl's expression.
Her face lit up a bit at the praise.
"Thanks. I struggled a bit, but I think I got the attention of a lot of pros.."
"You sure did! You didn't hear this from me.. but a certain mountain-like hero asked me about you!" She kept Luna focused on her. "I'm proud of you, kid."
Luna's eyes almost starbursted into a bright, glowing yellow, her admiration for Mt. Lady extremely evident.
Good, good, this was going we-
"Well I'm not."
Everyone looked to her except Amara, who continued to eat her food silently.
"How many times do I have to keep telling you, Luna? You lost."
"I know that even better than you do. I almost froze to death in that ice." Simon watched a flame light in Luna's eyes, replacing the yellow with a dull red.
"It's your fault that you ended up in it."
"I'm trying my hardest, will that ever be enough for you? Will I ever be enough for you, Mom?"
Oh shit, bro.
"You will when you start being yourself."
"And you get to decide what that is?"
"You're my daughter. I know you better than anyone, I always will."
"What, so you think you know me better than anyone just because you hit me more than anyone??"
People looked over and then quickly pretended they never heard anything. Not their problem, right?
"...You can't just send me away and call me once a while, and then think you know who I am." Luna looked down as she said this.
Simon didn't know people could snarl, but she just saw it happen. "If you don't want to be here, how about this? The second I hear you get bad grades in school, you're coming home. With me."
"You're not my home!!"
"Will you sHUT UP??!!" In a second, the napkin dashed through the air, unfolding, and wrapping itself around her daughter's mouth.

Sarah Wechsler! Quirk: Telekinesis!
She can move small things with her m-
What do you mean this isn't the time? Oh... oh my. Okay, then. Carry on!

Simon's jaw dropped as she watched Luna's eyes bulge out of her head, clawing at the literal gag that her mother forced on her.
"MmMmmMmmhhh!!!" Employees started taking notice, concern clouding over their faces, but what would they do?
She thrashed, making things fall over on their table. The more she resisted, the tighter the cloth was pulled over her mouth.
Oh my god...
Luna made eye contact with her, tears running down her cheeks. Her eyes shining gray, eyeliner smearing. Like a wild animal being broken in.
Simon stood up, pushing her chair back. "Can you hand me a glass?"
I need control.
"Give me that."
The woman didn't answer her, instead sitting there, watching her daughter struggle.
Brian just sat there, looking absolutely terrified. Had he said a word this entire time??
And she started to calm, stilling, mouth silent under the wet napkin.
It came off gently, floated down to the table, folding itself like nothing happened.
"I have a lot of homework to do." Luna stood up, looking straight at her mother. "I'm gonna head home."
"What about the food?"
"I ate at the festival anyway."
"Love you." She turned around, catching glances and weird whispers about the slight bruising on her cheeks, in a tight line. She didn't wait for an answer.
The animal had been broken.
Simon looked back from Luna to her family, horrified. She got up and ran after her, ignoring people asking her if she was Simon Says.
Brian was shaking, scared absolutely senseless.
Amara ate her food without even a frown.
You'll be a great mom, Mar. Absolutely wonderful.
"Janie!!" Amara called.
Simon didn't answer. She was gonna hear how she ruined dinner for Amara later, but after that shit show, it was Luna who needed her.

 She was gonna hear how she ruined dinner for Amara later, but after that shit show, it was Luna who needed her