23. Wherever

"You're my last meeting today." Simon said gladly as Luna sat across from her new office desk.
"Can we sleep..?"
"Nope. You have a tutor in an hour and we need to discuss your grades before we get started on your.." she yawned. "Your uh.. mental health." She nodded.
"Ah. This'll be fun."
"Well, you aced the test this morning, and that bumped you up to.." Simon adjusted her glasses and squinted. "I mean, not failing.." she shrugged. "as much.."
"I did..?" Luna asked groggily.
"Mhm! It was the first one of the unit though.. so it's..."
They had both been bored to sleep by Simon's school talk.

Luna's head slipped from her hand, hitting the table with a thud.
Simon jolted at the sound, Luna grabbing her face in pain.
"You okay??" She asked, trying her hardest not to smile.
A knock came at her door and Simon looked at the time.
Oops.
"Come in!" She called, and Luna's reluctant tutor looked to them, confused.
Luna held her cheek in pain, looking at Simon from the corner of her eye.
"Ms. Alia didn't punch me!" She assured him.
Todoroki's posture relaxed a bit.
"Did you think I actually punched her??" Simon gasped.
"Sorry, Ms. Alia. It's just that you're both aggressive towards each other, so I assumed-"
"You know what; fair. You go study with him now!" She shooed Luna.
"Ah.. that boy is a robot.." Simon said to herself as the door closed.

Luna yawned. "What time is it..?"
"You yawn humongously." He genuinely observed.
That little comment woke her up, and she smacked him on the shoulder. "Dude, that was so mean!!"
A smile tugged at the corners of his lips when he realized what he said. "Sorry."
"So, where are we gonna study?"
He thought. "I don't know, the school is closed off so we can't study here."
"Oh, I know!!" She yelled out of nowhere, making him jolt. "There's a small convenience store next to the library. It's got all these amazing Filipino snacks. We can get food there and bring it in!"
"Food isn't allowed at the library, though..."
"If you suggest we study on an empty stomach, I'm about to choke you."
Simon chuckled from the other side of the door. Call me Cupid..

The library was at least ten minutes away walking, so Luna convinced Todoroki to take the bus.
I wonder if I'm being too casual. He's not matching my energy. But then again, I don't think I've ever seen him use his face muscles other than to glare intensely at something.
She thought things like that until they stepped off in front of the library, which stood tall and regal against the sky background.
"Over there! Manila Express!!" She gushed as she ran over. "I know the owner."
"Luna!!! Long time, no see!!" The store owner yelled from behind the counter.
"Sorry Junior, I've been busy with school lately."
"So, how's UA? I saw you at the festival. I can't believe Brian didn't tell me you got in!!"
"Everyone watched the festival, huh?" She sighed.
"Hey, isn't that the guy that beat you?" The guy's look sharpened into a glare.
Todoroki shifted awkwardly.
"Mhm, he's my... friend?"
Is that what she thinks we are? Why didn't she say tutor?
He watched her stuff her face into the short aisles of the small and cramped store. Some of these snacks, he recognized, but a lot were foreign to him.
"You have to like this. We're getting this for you to try, ok?" She waved a bag in his face. Garlic flavored?
When she was done, she dumped everything on the counter. "Fuck, I don't have any money.." She frowned as she rummaged through her backpack. "Should've thought this through."
Before Todoroki could step up to pay, the cashier bagged the goodies and handed them to Luna.
"Really?" Her eyes lit up. "I'm gonna.."
"Don't cry again. We're out of tissues. It's on the house, but you have to convince Brian to go golfing with us on Saturday. He hasn't hung out with us in ages. If he doesn't show up, you pay up."
Luna grinned, ignoring her urge to throw up at the word golf. Sometimes her brother's basic personality made her gag. She still loved him, though. "Deal!!"
"He's one of my brother's friends." She explained to a visibly confused Todoroki as they walked the few feet to the library.
She stuffed her goodie bag hastily into her backpack. "Now, let's study!!" She pumped her fist and ran towards the revolving doors, almost slamming into them.
He tilted his head in confusion. She said it like a declaration of war, and there she is almost breaking her face.

"This is... this is good." She watched his eyes light up.
"Right??? It's ube flavored."
"It's so powdery yet chewy at the same time, like dough. Is it the sweet potato? Is that what makes it purple?" He was so curious about the food. It was cute.
"Mhm! It's a pretty color, isn't it? I ate this all the time as a kid, so I love this stuff." She snarfed down the candies.
"What are they called again?"
"Pastillas."
He hummed.
They were currently in the very back of the library, on a table that was previously covered in dust. Todoroki had used a strong cold breeze to blow it away, but in the process had made the space freezing. So Luna, in an attempt to procrastinate on her work, insisted that she couldn't concentrate in the cold and that they tried different snacks until he finished being their personal heater.
"You know, we really should do some work."
She groaned. "Fineee."
"Ok, first, let's look at your current grades." He motioned for her paper.
She covered it with her arm, wincing. "How about let's not??"
"Kanazuki, we have to."
She grudgingly handed him the paper.
He had no reaction at all to the column of Fs on the page, making it hard for her to read if he was judging her. "I know it's bad ok, but-"
"I'm more interested in how you have an A+ in basic hero training."
She sighed. "I'm not smart, ok? I'm not good at those other subjects."
"That's wrong."
"What?"
"These test results all are 0%. You can't get something that low even if you guessed. What's that about?"
"Well, you just get right to the point, huh?"
He stayed silent.
"Can we just... do the work? Please?"
He stared her down, but she wasn't gonna budge.
"Right." He nodded. "So, first is math..."

He stared at the math homework she'd filled out, eyes wide. "Those... those are all wrong. Like, all of them."
"Really???" She scanned every problem. "I swear I was doing it right."
"Here." He gently grabbed the pencil, leaning in closer to her to show her how to do it.
She probably should've been paying more attention to the work, but...

"That one's wrong, I think. The verb goes there." He pointed at one of her sentences.
"No, because if the subject is here, then the rules completely change. the verb comes after this." Luna told him. They were doing English homework right now.
"Wait, why would they change?" He was thoroughly done with the language, and she couldn't blame him.
"I don't know, man, because they wanted to? If I wasn't raised on it, I'd be failing this class for real."

"Jesus, that was so hard." He sighed, sliding back in his chair.
She chucked. "I've been told I wasn't made to do school."
He looked up at the ceiling. "I agreed to babysit a toddler for a year for some measly extra credit. What have I done?"
At that, her eyes drifted to the ground, hurt.
I really was trying today... I didn't wanna give him a hard time.
"I tried to tell Simon I work better alone, heh. I'll talk to her about cutting it off."
He saw her face and realized he had said something rude. "Shoot. Sorry, I didn't- I didn't mean that."
"You know, on a normal day I wouldn't have the motivation to do any of this. I would've just left these papers blank because who cares anyway? But today you made me sit down and just do it."
She started packing her bag. "If you really want, I can get her to cancel this. Now, I really have to go home, but if it's ok, if you actually didn't mean that, I want to keep meeting up after internships. Is that good with you?"
She really was a pain in the ass. He'd been nothing but frustrated most of the session, but still the word "yes" came out of his mouth.
"Great!" She turned around, and he remembered the question he'd been wanting to ask her.
"The Sports Festival." He said. "What's the deal with your mom? The gray eyes?"
She turned back to him, smiling.
"Bye, Todoroki."
And he never got the answers he wanted.
He spotted the three bags of pastillas she'd left. Were they for him?
He grabbed one and unwrapped it, munching on it thoughtfully.

 Were they for him?He grabbed one and unwrapped it, munching on it thoughtfully