27. Cheers, Friend

Simon stopped as she saw Luna wipe her face.
"Ah- were you crying?" She asked softly.
"Not a lot.." Luna replied.
Simon smiled weirdly. "Maybe we should stop the story for now. It only gets sadder from here."
"I can handle it.."
Simon looked to the back seat, more specifically the man sleeping there.
"I don't want him to wake up and have to hear it again. I'll tell you when we get home."
"It's that bad..?"
"No, not really, just don't wanna sound like a broken record.." She was still looking back.
This was related to the something that happened between them..
Luna looked away dramatically when she saw in the darkness that his eyes were open and cringing at himself.
Uh oh...
Simon's phone buzzed, and she checked the notification, groaning.
"What??" Luna asked.
"Your brother's wife sucks."
"What'd your sister do this time?" Luna asked, correcting her.
"Amara texted me; Hey, Janie~! Please hurry to my place. I need your help." Simon sighed.
"Is she gonna have you put something together again because Brian can't?"
Luna's eyes went wide as she saw Simon contemplating it. "You're actually so weak-"
"Stoppp! She could be in trouble, and she lives like six streets away.." Simon started the car.
"I can't believe you! Does Amara decide everything for you??" Luna asked.
"She's my sister even if she sucks.."
"You're in the middle of a mission- Simon!" Luna smacked her arm as she began driving.
"We were there for a long time, it's a good thing to move and do a loop!"
Luna scoffed at her as they pulled up to a red light. "You know she only uses Janie passive aggressively. This is fucking stupid."
"Give me your phone." The voice from behind her seat demanded, making Simon flinch.
"It'll be a quick stop, we will-"
Luna snatched her phone and threw it to Aizawa.
"Hey!" Simon pulled over aggressively.
""Sorry I can't. Doing work"." He read outloud. "Or would you prefer 'I can't be your doormat right now, I'm actually working?"
Luna's jaw hit the floor.
Simon's eye twitched.
"You're not allowed to get into my business when you're such a dick to me!" Simon yelled.
Luna's jaw penetrated the floor.
"It's not your business, it's our mission you're compromising." He replied.
She laughed out loud. "Who's phone are you holding?"
Silence.
"Who's sister are you texting..? From whose phone?"
Luna's jaw was now mining for gold.
"You can argue why I shouldn't go, but you, quite simply, don't fucking know me like that. You have not put the effort into knowing me enough to be allowed to pull a move like that." Simon explained in an eerily casual tone.
She was scolding him.
Luna's jaw hit bedrock.
"I was fixing an issue with the job we're doing. I didn't mean to invade your privacy, Jane." He said through gritted teeth.
Simon realized he was angry.
Like, actually angry.
Luna tried not to make a sound, especially when Simon didn't back down.
"Give me my phone." She held her hand out, not even turning.
"Actually, I'm busy stealing your bank information. After all, your privacy means nothing to me.."
They definitely forgot Luna was there.
Simon spun around and saw him opening and exiting random apps.
She snatched her phone back.
"Oh nooo. You turned off my Bluetooth you sick monster." She rolled her eyes.
"You have Barbie dress-up games on your phone." He commented randomly.
Luna couldn't hold in her laugh, only snorting harder when she saw that both of their eyes had gone wide after remembering she was there.
"Nono! Don't stop for me! Keep fighting, this is so fun!" She cackled out sarcastically, and they both straightened their posture.
Literal children, these two.. the child thought.
"How about I just text Brian that we're busy, since you two obviously have your own shit to work through." Luna added for her own pent up rage.
"Now, can we please get back to sitting in the car and doing nothing?"
"It should've happened already." Aizawa commented as he checked his phone, avoiding eye contact.
"Yeah, you were busy in the backseat pretending to sleep." Luna kept adding onto her pile of flames. "So since we failed, and Simon, ironically, can't control herself, can we go home??"
Simon laughed as Luna's eyes shone red.
Both of the adults were looking at her.
"You know, especially because of the red she kinda looks like-" Aizawa started to point out, but Simon erupting in laughter again interrupted him.
"That's why I'm laughing!" She said.
Luna frowned. "You're laughing at me??!"
"She's laughing because you look like Bakugo, Kanazuki."
She got even angrier at that, making Simon infinitely more amused.
"I wanna go home now.." Luna pouted.

"Go shower, you smell!" Simon called to Luna, watching her walk down the hall as she put her keys in the key bowl.
"Says' you!" Luna yelled back as she turned towards the bathroom.
Simon turned back around.
"Welcome to my home.."
He was having to lean down because of the low hanging fairy lights Simon had.
"Thanks.."
They were awkward.
They were also fighting 30 minutes ago before a 9th grader yelled at them, so the awkwardness wasn't unexpected.
"I-"
"So-"
They both began at the same time.
Simon thanked god that Luna didn't hear that.
"You can get around in here with these..?" He asked, flicking the string that held the lights strung above him.
"Well, being not a foot taller than me would help." Simon said, walking into the kitchen where there were no lights.
He followed, standing up straight.
She opened the fridge and handed him a water bottle, grabbing one for herself and jumping up to sit on the kitchen island.
"For all the hard work we did today..!" Simon held her bottle out, sarcastically exclaiming her cheer.
He smiled and hit his bottle against her's.
"We can go back tomorrow." He informed.
"Mhm.." Simon agreed absentmindedly.
"Hm?" He questioned as he took a sip.
Her head shot up. "Huh?? Oh! Sorry, thinking about how to help Luna. I've been trying to give her a reliable adult figure through this, but this is the only time a kid has ever like.."
"Scolded you instead?" He added.
Simon chuckled. "Exactly! Let alone be right!"
He shook his head, laughing.
"Oh, also, I promise I won't.. be a dick like that again. I treat people like kids when I'm upset, and it's so not okay-"
"Sorry that I took your phone and opened all of your apps..?" He said, his own words confusing him as they both laughed a bit. "That isn't really something I'm known for doing."
"I'm shocked!" She cried out sarcastically.
Her phone buzzed next to her.
She looked up at him and without breaking eye contact, tried to cover it from his sight.
He scoffed and leaned against the fridge.
"It's my sister.." Simon looked up to his expecting face. "Thatttt I can't help today because she has a husband and I have had alcoholic beverages with a friend and therefore I can't drive."
She launched herself off the island and stood in front of the man guarding her fridge.
He looked down at her, confused.
"Scootch." She ordered, and he slid to the side.
She grabbed two beers, holding one out as an offering.
He watched her for a second, then grabbed it.
She went back up to her island perch.
He also watched her struggling to get the cap off.
And struggling.
He watched her try and use her teeth, scraping her cheek.
"Do you need-?"
"I got it!" She called back as she kept trying to push and twist and pull like some bop it toy.
He walked up to her and grabbed the bottle from her hands, popping it off.
She looked at him, intrigued.
She'd misjudged him.
He grabbed her phone before, and now this??
She would've thought it was due to a lack of respect for her, and that's what she did think, until now.
"Oh- sorry! Ah.. Again." He held the bottle out and scratched the back of his head with the other.
She let out a laugh in shock.
She grabbed the bottle and took a sip.
"Thank you." She said sincerely.
He looked away bashfully and drank.
It made her smile.
They sat in silence for a while.
It was a bit uncomfortable, but neither of them minded.
"Ah- Luna's probably right about me smelling right now. I had to tackle this big.. damp sweaty guy earlier.." Simon shuttered.
"You don't smell, Jane." He rolled his eyes, then cringed. "Also ew.."
"Right? He wasn't wearing a shirt, and he was gonna grab Luna, so I had to-"
"Literally gross, stop." He held his hand out to cover her face from his view.
She ducked. "What?? Too gross??"
He kept moving his hand to cover her face, and when she tried to get closer, he had to keep pushing her face away with one hand as she giggled.
"God!! Get a room!" Luna rolled her eyes from the hallway, her long hair up in a ridiculously tall towel.
Simon jumped the island.
"Thirty sit ups." She demanded, smiling as Luna groaned.
"Forty." Aizawa added in the background.

" Aizawa added in the background