panicking

"You got this, you got this, you got this. You. Got. This"

Naruto was currently making his way towards the training ground where Sakura had informed him to go to. Shikamaru isn't here with him to drop him off because he was sent to a mission earlier so he's going solo for the day.

There were oddly a lot of people out though so he had to go through the hard way and sneak around a bit to avoid any interaction. With every step he took, he grew more and more scared for what's to come even though it was just some training. However, he can't continue to beat around the bush since it's the Hokage's order for him to be a part of a team, he can't simply wimp out and disappear.

Or can he?

He laughed quietly to himself.

While in his thoughts he landed on the last branch before the opening of the training ground. He shook his head to get rid of the tempting offer to himself and sighed out deeply.

There they are, Sakura, Sasuke, and Sai all standing around the sand area while chatting away.

How should he start off the conversation? Does his breath stink? Is his hair too messy? Does he even look presentable? Is he overdressing himself?!

"Oh these are my main clothes though"

He slumped on his side against the tree, sulking to himself. He's definitely overthinking this but he can't help it, the only person he's ever interacted well enough that is around his age is Shikamaru and he's known him for a fat minute.

Maybe he can still ditch this whole thing and talk to Tsunade about changing this plan to the first option she gave him instead of this one.

"Hmm but that wouldn't be nice huh... they looked excited for me to be with them yesterday..."

However, he felt incredibly uncomfortable without Shikamaru by his side. He doesn't know them like how he does, who knows maybe they were acting like they liked him and then once he puts his guards down they'll strike!

Yet, for some reason, he actually had fun and let his guard down while being with the group of teens. That could've been one of the biggest mistake in his life since they could've easily over powered him. Was it because Shikamaru was in the same presence as him so he knows he'll keep him safe? Maybe.

But thinking about it, he shouldn't let people easily get into his business again, past experience type of thing (expect for Shikamaru, his parents, and the sand siblings, they're an exception).

He made a move to turn around a bit to rest against the tree but flinched when he sees a person standing right beside him, front facing his direction and a book in his hand.

"Icha Icha Paradise? What type of title is that?"

"Fine weather we are having yeah?"

Feeling his lips twitching, he slowly cranked his neck upwards to get a better look at this person.

It was a grown man who had the basic uniform of most Chūnin-Jonin rank. He had white hair that spiked up and leaning towards the left, the leaf headband covering one of his eyes, and a mask covering the lower half of his face.

Naruto let his guard up a little upon scanning the unnamed man from head to toe. He turned fully so that his back was touching the tree and placed his foot in a way so that he could run away if needed. He then placed a hand near his poach where his kunais are stored.