Chapter 20: "Why The Long Face?"

After returning home yesterday afternoon, I was still sort of mad at Peter.

Sort of. Maybe not. Yeah, maybe not.

Anyway, today is Wednesday. Last day of work of the week. Yay! Mental Note: Ask for Lucifer's phone number. (if he has one)

I should see him today. Maybe that's why I'm taking so long to chose my outfit. My new shirt is going on. I'll have to find my ripped jeans.  I might even see his boyfriend at the store....

How to react if they kiss. That's something I have to work on. I'll ask Alice.

I find her talking to herself in the kitchen. "Hey! Fairy Godmother, how do I act if my friend kisses his boyfriend?" I ask. She doesn't look up from the counter. "Good morning, Jared."

"Alice, seriously, I have a dilemma. What do I do?" I am actually being serious now.

She stares at me. "Just smile like it's cute, look away halfway through and ask how they met each other when they're done." She replies.

"Sounds....okay." I answer. She smiles. "Do you need me to take you to work this morning?" She asks.

"Nah, I'm sure Emmett will be taking me." I look around for him. "Emmett's at the garage. The car broke down yesterday afternoon." She informs me. "Ah, well in that case,

just don't go fast." I warn. She picks up her keys and grabs her jacket. "I won't even think about it." She smiles, but she sounds excited.

***At the shop***

"Thanks Alice." I go to jump out of the car. "Hey!" She clicks her fingers. I stare. She taps her cheek. "Oh, right, sorry." I reach across and kiss her. She smiles. "Thank you Miss Whitlock." I nod at her. "See you, Alice."

I walk in, say hi to Julie and look at the clock on the wall. 9:35. The manager should be here in twenty minutes or so. YAY.

I put my jacket in the storage cupboard and find crates of equipment ready to put away. I pick them up and put the contents in the right places. I've just finished tidying up the tennis row when I feel a weight behind me. "Hello Whitlock." He says.

"Mondigliani." I smile and turn around. "How nice to see you." He smiles back.

"Did your mother- sorry, stepmother bring you here?" He asks. I nod.

"Any work?" He asks. "Na. I just did most of it. I'm sure Mr.Thompson will have more for us when he comes in."

"How's your family?"

"They're good."

He nods at my answer. "How about yours?" I ask. "Great. Amazing." He answers. "Jared, about yesterday..." He starts. "Yeah?"

"If you're gay, then you're gay. No one can say anything to change your mind." He replies.

"Can 'gay' apply to women?" I ask.

"I believe so. I saw you in the town centre yesterday." This catches my attention. "Oh yeah? Stalker." We sit on the floor again.

"You were with a guy." He smirks, one eyebrow raised. I nod. "Yeah, and?" I ask. "Was it your dad?" He asks. "No way! I don't go anywhere with my dad. That was my uncle you saw, Peter." I answer. "Are you closer with him than you are with your father?" He asks intrigued. "Yes, much closer. I lived with him, but it looks like we'll be staying with Jasper for a while." I sigh. Just the he looks into my face and his eyes widen.

"Why the long face?" I ask. He looks into my eyes then turns away. Then he looks back at me. "I'm sure your eyes were black the day we met, Jared." He answers. I clap my hands to my eyes and rub them. Damn, they're obviously gold now that I've drunk something. "Yeah," I recover. "I get colour contacts." I smile. The fear leaves his face and he smiles with me. "They're great. Where do you get them from?" He asks.

Oh, Jeez, uh. "Uh, there's a shop, where I live with my uncle." I say. Well what else could I have said? Lucifer smiles. "Cool. Now get up, Mr Thompson's here." He warns. "Hello, children. Having a first date are we?" Mr Thompson, smiles mockingly. Lucifer looks embarassed. "Dude, seriously. Are you kidding me?" I pipe up. "He's gay." I point at Lucifer. Mr. Thompson blushes. "And he has a boyfriend."

Ok, maybe I shouldn't have gone that far....