Chapter 78: A Chance Meeting

Rushing back into my room after summarising Emmett and Jasper's gay love to Alice, I'm surprised and confused to find my bedroom windows wide open, the wind blowing in angrily, causing the hair to blow back from my face.

Abandoned leaves have landed on the floor, sent in by the gusts of air coming through at several miles per hour. I run forward and slam the windows shut, and slide down onto the floor to fix my hair. Who would leave my windows open like that? It's knocked half of my things off my dresser drawer.

I sigh in frustration. Emmett, you jerk. This is obviously 'playful punishment' for hitting him earlier. I get up, ready for a round two in the battle.

Then I notice the note.

A small piece of yellowed paper, blown onto the floor. Emmett didn't cause the disruption, someone else has been in here. Through the window.

I unfold it and read.

Jared, meet me in the ice cream parlour in the shopping centre at twelve.
Come alone.

No signature, no kisses or smiley faces, but my stomach still does a front flip. I glance at my watch. Damn, I need to go now.
I leg it down the stairs and grab money from my wallet on the side counter before shouting up to Alice.

"I'm going into town for a mooch around!" Then I sprint out of the door and all the way to the centre where hopefully I'm not too late.

When I walk into the ice cream parlour, there is no one standing about that's familiar, but then again, I never take interest or observe. I order a chocolate sundae at the counter before nervously tapping my feet on the hard floor.

The waitress hands me my ice cream and I glance around for a place to sit, but the entire room seems packed with people.

"You know, you can stand there looking like an utter idiot, or you can sit in here with me." I look around madly, in search of the voice that spoke to me. It's a familiar voice, and it should be soothing to me, but for all I know, it could be in my head. It wouldn't surprise me, I've going insane for a while now.

I keep looking around with wide eyes, hoping to catch a glimpse of them, but I can't see them.

"Over here," It hisses urgently. "Are you that blind?"

I follow the direction of the voice, until I come to the end of the room, and then, victory at last, tucked away in the booth at the end of room, is Aro.

He glances up and smiles. "There. That wasn't so hard, was it?" He asks. I gape at him, mouth open, not knowing what to say. I'm overjoyed and horrified to see him. What is he doing here?
He sighs. "Sit down and look normal. You're making a scene."

I sit opposite him obediently. He's wearing a normal black suit without his cloak and in front of him on the table is a can of Fanta.
I frown at him quizzically. "Don't look so surprised. I'm trying to blend in." He summarises.
I keep staring, my ability to speak is lost. He narrows his eyes. "You're supposed to eat that, darling." He nods towards me.

I look down. I'd forgotten the ice cream glass clutched in my hand. Chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream with crushed brownie pieces. "Reeve's favourite." Aro says, as if he could read my mind, which he can.

I spoon a few mouthfuls, to try to get my mouth to work again. "You're quiet. Then again, I seem to have that effect on people." He sighs. I move my mouth muscles a few times. "Why did you ask for me?" I manage.

He smiles. "Reeve wants you." He says simply. "She misses you." He adds softly. I look away from his face and instead, I concentrate on his can of drink which he pushes towards me.
"Have it if you want it so badly. It doesn't interest me at all."

"In fact," He adds. "I was allergic to oranges as a child."
I stare at the label. "But that's lemon Fanta. So it doesn't really matter." I shrug.
He looks at it properly. "And it is. Funny, I hadn't noticed." He shrugs.

"Anyway," I clear my throat. "Are you going to take me to Reeve?" I ask impaitently. "If you'd like me to. Now eat more ice cream." He points towards the spoon.

I sigh but pick up the spoon and stay quiet until I've demolished the whole thing. I look up at Aro afterwards. "Happy?" I snark and he smiles. "Very. Now, I'd like you to go home and explain to your family that you'd like to see Reeve. I'm sure Carlisle wouldn't object. He is a very generous man." He nods.

"Ok, what next?" I ask, trying to take note quickly. "There is no other step. I'll be in the area. I'll arrive shortly after your conversation with them. I hope." He adds.

"Does your wife know you're here?" I ask randomly. He looks up instantly. "What's that to you?" He asks. "Just wondering." I shrug. "It must be boring in the tower all the time. Reeve must be rigid with boredom." I trail off, sighing at the torture.

"Exactly. Which is why you must exaggerate, make sure you get your father on your side. I'm sure you can manage that." He smiles. I sigh at him, and his enthusiastic approach to life.

"Ok, but what happens if they say no?" I ask him. "Have you thought of plan B or are you used to having things your way?" I add. He smiles in amusement and I look away from him, knowing the answer. "It is my way or nothing else. There is no negotiation. However, it would be better if we left on good terms." He says thoughtfully.

"But I fear my family and yours will always be enemies. Unlike Carlisle, how I enjoy his company." He trails off, deep in thought until I pound my fist on the desk and he looks up.

"Paitence." He scolds. "Take these to the waitress." He pushes the ice cream glass and the can towards me. I sigh but do it anyway, thanking the waitress, but then starting to panic as I realise Aro's clever move. I rush back to the booth but of course, he would do that when my back is turned. The sly fox.

Aro is gone.