Chapter 67: The Big Reunion

We eventually land on American soil, back in my homeland. I hope we can visit my mom and Viktor soon. And Lucifer and LeeRoy. We all leave the plane and Sulpicia clings onto Aro's arm like an over excited child. Why does he tolerate her? And why did he leave Mom? I head in front of the others and jump in the hire car.
Once everyone's seated, Demetri sets off driving like he's suddenly everyone's chauffeur. Sulpicia chats to Aro endlessly throughout the journey, doing her own sickening version of sightseeing. Pulling on Aro's arm everytime she spots something interesting. The even more annoying thing is that he responds with equal enthusiasm.

Seriously, like how old are they? Three? It irritates me how Sulpicia comandeers all of Aro's attention. I'm in the backseat, with Aro in the middle and Sulpicia on his other side. With Sulpicia talking non stop, I try getting some attention by leaning into Aro and hooking my arm through his. He miraculously looks away from her to kiss the top of my head. "Hello Reeve." He smiles, putting his arm around me, cutting Sulpicia off from him.

I cuddle into him further, shifting myself and resting my legs across his lap. "Make yourself comfortable, darling. The journey will last another hour or so." He murmurs, pulling my head to rest on his shoulder. Sulpicia scowls across at me but I ignore her by closing my eyes. Mission accomplished.

"I love you Dad." I reach up to kiss his cheek. "I love you too, Reeve." He wraps both his arms around me and I smile happily.

Barely an hour later, we pull up outside a small quaint little house with a thatched roof. It's nowhere near as large as The Cullen house but I know this is Jared's place. She wouldn't be the type of person to blow money on a huge establishment. Or someone who lives in a mansion. Seriously, it looks like something from a fairytale, a little cottage in the middle of nowhere.

The red front door opens and Peter steps outside into the sunlight. He spots me and comes towards the car. "Reeve?" He narrows his eyes and backs away when he sees Aro and my uncles. "Jared, stay inside the house!" He closes the front door. I exit the car and go towards him. "Please, Peter, let me speak to her. We came to set things right." I sniff to stop the tears.

An upstairs window opens and Jared sticks her head out. "Uncle Peter? What's going on?" Her eyes widen when she sees me. "Reeve? Oh my God!" She jumps out of the window and lands gracefully beside me, before pulling me into her arms. "Reeve! My God, I've missed you!" She kisses me and I hook my arms around her neck.

For a second, we're completely happy, smiling and kissing in a satisfying way. Then Jared's body goes rigid. I pull out of her hardened grasp and follow her gaze to find her eyes locked on Aro who has left the car. "Jared!" He chimes. "How wonderful to see you. I was afraid I'd never lay eyes on you again!" He approaches her and places a light kiss on her cheek which puts Peter on edge.

"Peter! Jared! What's going on?" Charlotte comes out to investigate and freezes at the sight of Aro, her hand clapped over her mouth. Jesus, does Aro have this effect on everybody? This could get annoying. "Aro," She composes herself, blinking wildly. "How....lovely to see you." She smiles tensely. He smiles back while Sulpicia cuts a death glare at her. I rush to Charlotte and hug her. "It's so good to see you, Charlotte!" I try to put her at ease, which works a little bit.

"May we come in?" Aro advances and both Charlotte and Peter take a noticeable step back. Aro merely smiles at them. "I'm sure you wouldn't mind if Reeve went inside to talk with Jared? It's been a while." Aro says calmly. They both look doubtful, but give a shaky nod and step out of the way. Jared leads me up the stairs to her room.

Inside is also like a fairytale. Bright christmas lights dangle across her wardrobe and down the side. There are ornaments of pixies and dragons on her bed side table, some of them hand painted. She has an amazing built into the wall bookshelf.....with all her books on the floor. I smile to myself. Typical Jared.

The weird thing is that her walls are painted a pale shade of yellow. Jared sees me staring and smiles. "Lemon," She says. "Peter and Charlotte chose it before they knew what sex I was." She explains. "It hasn't been painted since you were born?" I ask. "Of course!" She laughs. "They painted it when I was a baby. As I got older, I liked the Lemon colour and stuck with it. It gets decorated every few years or so." She runs her hand along one of the walls.

"So you lived with Peter and Charlotte as a baby too?" I sit lightly on her bed. "No. They had a spare room and deemed it mine when they found out my mom was pregnant. I moved in permanently when I was about thirteen, I guess. About four years after my mom's death." She explains. "What's the full story about your mom, Jared?" I ask softly. She looks at me and sighs. "It's a long story that I'm not bothered about telling." She shrugs.

"I guess it must be difficult...." I offer and she smiles. "Not really. I always had Charlotte and then I had Alice. I never missed my mom. Ever." She admits. "Was she not a great mom?" I ask. "No. She didn't care about anything but her precious newborns." She spits. I blink at her. "Don't worry, baby. I'm not angry at you." She strokes my head and places her palm on my cheek.

"So how did she die?" I ask. "Was she killed in battle or something?"
Jared smiles at me and gives me a look as if I'm the most innocent thing on the planet. She sighs. "There wasn't a battle." She says. "I killed her."