Chapter 58: The Rules of A Sass Master

I scream. "What?!" Caius turns around, ready to snap, but his face softens when he sees my disgust at the 'thing' on his desk. He wipes away the blood, clearing his throat awkwardly. I grab the strange weapon and trace my finger carefully over the beads.

"It's called a flogger." Caius is behind me, gauging my reaction. "Did he...did...Aro...ugh.." I groan, that's why Caius screamed. If I was hit with that thing, I'd scream too. He places a thick book on the desk, skips to a page and pulls out a sheet of yellowed paper. "The rules, Whitlock." He says, putting an emphasis on my correct name.

I take the paper in my hand and scan my eyes over it, but my mind is full of pictures of what Aro did to him. It's obvious he whipped him with the 'flogger' as Caius called it, but where? Actually, no, I don't want to know where he hit him. How some people think it's erotic pleasure I'll never understand.

It's pain. He screamed. And I feel guilty as hell. Great, now I've got Reeve and Caius to apologise to. "Where did he...you know?" I ask, avoiding his eyes. "My back." He replies. "How?" I ask. "He laid me across the desk. On my front." He says quietly. I shiver. "It was my fault. I'm sorry." I admit. He shakes his head.

"I deserved what I got. Aro is my brother and he takes care of me and punishes me when I need it most. I should have accepted his job for me, I should have just been your bodyguard and pushed my issues with your family aside. It is my fault entirely." I look up, surprised by his change of tone.

"However." His voice regains it's cold clarity. "I knew there was a catch." I groan. "Being as old as I am, it is how I feel about same sex relationships and I do not regret a word I said." He admits. "So you're not sorry?" I ask, shocked. "Of course, because Aro found me out. But otherwise, I don't care if I upset you." He hisses, but not as menacing as usual.

"Now, look at the rules." He orders.
I read them out loud. 

1. It is vital that we keep our existence a secret.
2. All guards will wear the uniform.
3. There is a set time each week for feeding.
4. No guard will leave the premises without permission.
5. A guard will be formal in all things.
6. Guards will treat the Masters with respect.
7. Guards are not allowed to use their gifts upon each other.
8. Guards are not allowed romantic relations with a human.

I stutter over the last one. "Is there a problem?' He looks up. "Why would you even care?" I snark back. He takes a minute to think it over. "I don't." He shrugs and saunters off into his mini library. "Wait!"
He turns round. "What do you want?" He sighs. "It says guards can't have relationships with humans! What about me and Reeve!" I exclaim, miserable.

"Well I suppose you're an exception. Because you're family." He hisses the last word, sarcastically. God damn, he hates me. "Then, I guess the rules are ok." It's surprising how fair they are. "And anyway, we were planning on changing Reeve, but I suppose that's your duty now, as she's your plaything." He snarks. "Do you treat your wife like that?" I ask, curiously. "How is it your business?" His voice goes cold.

"Do you treat her with respect? Is she happy?" I question. "Locked up the tower with no visitors." I sigh. "I visit her everyday, and she has Sulpicia to keep her company." He argues. "I don't particularly love my wife, I was forced into marriage. But I do care about her. As a friend only." He admits. "So you don't kiss her?" I ask. He looks at me like I've got two heads. "Don't be absurd!" He sasses, and turns to his books. I can't help but smile.

"So, say she was upset, you wouldn't give her a hug?" I question. He sighs in frustration. "Possibly. But as I said, she has Sulpicia. A woman. Women are much more comforting. I'm sure she'll be fine." He cuts off. "Speaking of being fine, how's your back?" I walk over to him. He tenses, afraid I'll touch him.

"The gashes, they've healed. All I know is that Aro did it because he adores you." He says angrily. "Did it hurt?" Stupid question, I know.
"Oh yes, it hurt. It was excruciating." He glares at me. "And it's because of your unaccepted sexuality, that got me in trouble in the first place." He walks into the mini library and closes the door.

"What, wait, Caius!" I hammer on it. "What am I supposed to do?" I shout. "Why are you so upset?"

"Leave!" His voice comes thick through the door. "I am finished with you! Just leave!" He thunders. "Caius, are you crying?" My voice goes soft. "Caius, answer me!"

"Oh for goodness sake, child. I said go!" He screams and I take flight out of the door, down the hall and headlong dive into my room, like the lion from Wizard of Oz. I quickly jump back up and scrabble with the lock, bolting it in place. God, that man is scary. I lean back against the door, eyes closed.

A phone starts ringing. It's one of those standard ringtones that grandparents can't be bothered to change or didn't even realise they can. It takes me another second to realise it's my phone. I jump up and press the answer button, not checking the number.

"Jasper." I say. "Jared, baby! I missed you!" It's Reeve. "Oh, uh, hey. I missed you too." I smile. "I need to apologise for Friday night, I forgot about our age for a minute. Can you not tell Aro?" She begs, desperately. "What's it got to do with him?" I play back. She sighs in relief. "We should hang out, I need to visit some time. How about tomorrow?" The hope in her voice is so cute.

"Sounds great, see you then." I smile. "Tomorrow? You'll call?" She giggles happily. "Yes. Bye Reeve."

"Can I sing you a lullaby?"
"Reeve, I'm hanging up now."
"Hush-a-bye baby on the treetop, when the wind blows, the cradle-"
"Reeve! I'm hanging up!" I laugh.
"I'm trying to sing you to sleep!" She protests madly. "Hon, it's half past two in the afternoon!"

"Ok, see you tomorrow baby." She hangs up. "Bye then," I call to the dead line. I walk into my bathroom, I feel like a shower.
There's a knock at my door, but no voice. "Who is it?" I call and switch off the water quickly. There's no answer, but I hear a shuffling noise. I walk over to find a folded piece of paper on the floor, that's been slided underneath the door.

I pick it up and read.

Sorry. I will learn to give you mutual respect. Maybe I will try for us to be friends

Caius

Bingo! I smile triumphantly.