Chapter 63: Aro's Devious Plan

Due to Edward's gift, he knew everyone's thoughts. By spying in Italy, he'd gathered enough information to understand the plot. And so Carlisle starts this twisted story.

"Every interaction with the Mondigliani family you've had, is all to do with Aro's plan. Aro's overall aim is to get you to marry one of his family members. It actually started before you met Lucifer. It started with Aimie. She was told to keep an eye out around the local town and the mall, looking for you. Once she found you, she followed you to the sports centre one day and that's when Lucifer comes into it." I whimper as he says this.

"Aro set Lucifer up with the job at the sports centre so he could become friends with you and lead you into his family circle."

"So my friendship with Lucifer is fake? He only spoke to me because he had to?" I can't stop the tears falling. "Please, Jared. Let me finish." He whispers, gently wiping away tears. I nod.

"Unfortunately, at first yes, it was all part of a mission, but I feel Lucifer has grown to feel for you, care for you. Anyway, Aro then realised he needed someone to get you to marry, so he chose his daughter, Reeve." I whimper again.

"Reeve does have feelings for you though. Jasper can sense her emotions. But at first, it was more or less an arranged relationship. Reeve knew everything from the start." Carlisle sighs sadly.

"But why did she lie about Viktor being her father? Why did she say Aro was her uncle?" I'm exhausted already. "She didn't want to frighten you away. Acting normal was easier. Aro wanted them to ease you into their family far enough so when you found out the truth, you'd be in too deep to escape."

"Damn, he really had this one worked out didn't he?" I snark. He nods sympathetically. "Yes, and it's very lucky Alice had that vision and we could get you out in time."

"There's only one thing I don't understand, why do they want me so badly?" I ask. "Because of your mother. In her early days, she belonged to the Volturi. With her being such a great warrior and leader, they have high hopes that you inherited her skill, leading you to become a huge advantage in their army. Also, with most of us Cullens having gifts, that's another reason you'd be good to them." He summarises.

"I've given you a lot to think about. Get some rest. I'll speak to you in the morning." He tucks me in. Even as a vampire, I love to sleep. "Goodnight Carlisle," I say as he exits. I drink my supper from the flask and lie down.

It takes me at least an hour to sleep. Even then, my dreams are full of long cloaks, black eyes and cute goth girls.
And Lucifer.

******************************

Francesco P.O.V
Throne Room

"And you're sure you haven't seen her?" Aro asks, walking around me, dangerously slow. "No sir, I'm sure she's just gone for a walk." I stammer. He peers into my face. I want to turn away, to cover my eyes from his gaze, but my hands are handcuffed behind me, I'm on my knees in the centre of the throne room.
"She was with you this afternoon, correct?" He asks me. "Yes sir," I keep my eyes trained on the floor. 

"What happened?"
"Uh, I took her around the city, Sir, showing her the culture, different landmarks, you know...." I trail off. "And then?" He questions. "She was walking back to the mansion, my lord. To visit Reeve," I lie.
He goes to grab my hand, and I desperately try to keep my mind blank.

He holds it for a few seconds before hitting me across the face. I fall to the floor. "I can't see anything!" He roars. He pulls me up by my shirt. "What are you?" He growls. "I'm human sir, I swear." I whimper. "Please. Let me go home to my family."

"You will not leave until you give me answers, or I will take every woman in your family and have her beaten." I wince.

"Now, tell me, where is Jared?" He orders, releasing me. I fall to the floor. "I....I don't know." I mumble. "Then you're a liar." He pulls out a gun and places it against my forehead. I close my eyes tight, pressing together every muscle in my body. "You have twelve hours to tell me where my daughter in law is or I will pull this trigger." He comes in closer, whispering in my ear. "And your family will be next." He pulls away.

"Put him in the dungeon!" He orders and I'm dragged away by two guards. They lock me up with no food but there's a tap for water at least. My God, I hope she and her stepmother are safe. The next morning, I wake up on the throne room floor. Aro is standing over me, holding the gun. "Bongiorno, Francesco." He says in his light voice. "Have you got any answers for me?"

I shake my head furiously. "No, and I never will." Aro loads the gun as a response. "Fine, lights out, my dear man. Goodbye." He says sharply and places it to my forehead.

******************************

Edward P.O.V

I quickly pick up my mobile and dial a number."Carlisle? Can you hear me? Yes, I'm still here, still in Italy, in a hotel. Listen, something's happening. I could have sworn I just heard a gunshot come from inside the building. Someone's got a gun. Someone's just been killed."