Chapter 33: Unfolding

Eunmi's Point of View

There he was staring at us with those intimidating eyes, not budging, not even blinking. It felt as if a hole would be drilled in my head if he stared longer with those lasers he called eyes. I had no idea why his expression held anger, but then I remembered that day when we were at his office. The day when I met him for the first time. He knew my mother and he seemed vexed by the fact that I was her daughter. I could not believe the event slipped my mind.

My thoughts were disrupted by the contact of Kyungie's skin against mine. He snaked his hand down my arm and intertwined his fingers with my own, causing the expression on his father's face to grow stronger with exasperation. I looked up to the man who stood beside me and saw in his eyes that he wanted to prove a point to his father, although I was not aware of exactly what he was trying to prove.

"What are you doing?" I whispered to him.

"Don't know exactly, but there's something odd about my father. Something doesn't feel right. I thought it was the strange fact that he somehow knows your mother, but now I see that it's not just that," he replied.

"Then what else is it?" I asked.

"He seems disturbed by us being together. Just look at him."

With that answer, I switched my attention back to Mr Do, who was still intensely staring at us. Not only was it creepy, but it was also terrifying. Right then, he stared directly at me, directly into my eyes that I felt the hairs on my skin rise. I never knew that someone could be so frightful with only by the look of his eyes, and after a few moments of observation, Kyungie's statement was confirmed. The longer we held onto each other's hand, the angrier Mr Do appeared. He was disturbed by our togetherness.

But, why, though? Surely it was not because of the fact that he knew my mother, right?

-

The whole time at the restaurant felt more uncomfortable than fun, knowing that someone was staring intently at us all throughout. I just wondered how the other businessman was feeling with Mr Do not paying any attention to the matters that they were to supposedly discuss. Nonetheless, it was not an enjoyable two hours, not now, not ever! I was more than happy when uncle announced that we were leaving.

When we all got into the van, I just looked out the window with Mr Do bugging and itching my mind. He definitely knew something that I did not and by the looks of it, Kyungie was also oblivious by it. I hated the feeling of not knowing something that I knew was about me or people I was close with. There was a little voice in my head that kept tugging at me and saying that he was someone very important, that I should be more cautious now. Whatever was happening with him... it could be of my business.

"Hey," Kyungie cooed at my side. I turned my head to him and flashed a smile.

"You okay? You seem a little dazed there," he chuckled lightly.

"I'm fine. I ate too much earlier, it might just be food coma," I told him, returning the same light chuckle.

"If it's about my father, don't worry about him, alright? He's uptight when it comes to my relationships. Since I was young I already knew that I would be set up with a complete stranger for marriage. It probably bothers him that I chose you, after all, I'm such a rebel," he said, winking at me.

I laughed and pushed him playfully, hiding my worries behind his words. I hoped that what Kyungie said was right because I did not want anything to be more complicated than what it was, however complicated our situation was. I let his explanation soothe my mind and set the thought of Mr Do aside.