Chapter 9: Saturday ( II )

Third person Point of View

Night time came, the moon’s light shining brightly down at the countryside giving off a tranquil atmosphere. Everyone was outside the house sitting around the bonfire on a tree log. Since EXO-K was there, they had decided to have a small barbecue party.

“I remember when Jong Hwan used to cook barbecue for us,” grandmother, Na Ra, began. Although she was old, her features were very pretty. The way the light hit her face made that statement evident. “But he’s not here now,” she sighed. “I’m just glad we can use his grill again, thank you to these lovely boys.”

EXO-K let out shy and awkward laughs as they rubbed the nape of their neck. They were one, alright.

“It’s just a barbecue grill,” D.O hissed under his breath. His intention was for the words to be only heard by him, but it seemed that everyone else heard judging that they turned their heads to him.

“Pardon me, boy?” Na Ra asked, her eyebrows furrowed, revealing more of her wrinkles.

Eunmi, being D.O’s love, bit her lower lip and tried to cover for him.

“He said ‘What a grill!’” She laughed nervously, hoping that her grandmother, as well as the others, bought her lie. It was silent for a while before a chuckle escapes Na Ra’s lips.

“Yes, it is quite a barbecue grill, isn’t it?” She laughed.

Eunmi glared at D.O as if telling him ‘say something nice’. D.O rolled his eyes and ruffled his hair, turning to Na Ra.

“Yeah. Nice grill,” he said forcefully.

“The barbecues are ready!” Chanyeol announced, walking over to hand everyone their plate.

Suddenly, a ringing of a phone was heard and being teens, Eunmi and EXO-K, patted their pockets in search of their device.

“Not mine.” EXO-K chorused, which meant that it was Eunmi’s phone that had went off.

“It’s Sa Rang,” she mumbled, confusion painted on her face. “I think I have to take this.” She stood up from her log and went a few metres away, just enough distance for her conversation to be inaudible.

“What’s up?” Eunmi asked, phone held tight to her right ear.

Hey, um… I have some news…” The hesitation in Sa Rang’s voice only made Eunmi more curious.

“What is it?”

My mom’s clothing business just opened a store in California…

“That’s great! Congrats to aunt Mae!”

Yeah, but that’s the thing, Eunmi. We kind of have to, uh… Move there.

The abrupt information had frozen Eunmi for a few seconds. The thought of her best friend leaving permanently to settle in another country just wasn’t bearable. Sa Rang was the only person at school that Eunmi trusted, and now that she was moving away, Eunmi didn’t know what to think.

Eunmi, you still there?” Sa Rang asked.

“Y-Yeah, still here. So, you’re moving?”

Yep.

“When?”

Tomorrow actually. I was surprised too ‘cos I didn’t have enough time to process everything. I’m sorry, Eunmi-ah.

Though Eunmi felt upset, she let out a light laugh, but her facial expression showed otherwise. Since Sa Rang couldn’t even see her, it was no problem.