Chapter 21: Diverged

Third person Point of View

The night at the Jung residence could not have been more awkward. Eunmi and D.O sat in the living room like strangers and hardly spoke ten words to each other, apart from the constant sorry’s that D.O attempted to make. He tapped and fiddled with his fingers unconsciously as he watched Eunmi ignore his very existence.

“I am sorry, you know,” he said to her.

She did not respond.

“You can’t ignore me forever,” he added.

Once again, there was not response that came from her. She switched on the television and Music Bank came up, a performance of “Voodoo Doll” from VIXX had appeared. Eunmi was not only an admirer of EXO K and M but, she was also fond of other groups, VIXX being one of them.

“Ugh! Leo’s too cute,” she commented, catching D.O’s attention.

“He’s so shy and so innocent. So adorable,” she added.

D.O rolled his eyes and mimicked her quietly, cursing his fellow idol friend of having caught a bit of Eunmi’s admiration. He attempted, once again, of apologising to her but, like before, Eunmi would not utter a single word.

“Can you just please say something? Anything will do,” D.O said.

“No,” Eunmi replied to him.

“Good enough,” he smiled to himself.

The next hour consisted of Eunmi’s compliments towards other groups that performed, while D.O wondered to himself why he always ended up being so stupid that he had to apologise to her (again). He thought that he had apologised to her more times within months that he had with others in all his lifetime. It was all rather puzzling to him.

When Eunmi was tired, her yawn gave D.O signal that she was feeling so. Immediately, he got up from his seat and, without notice, lifted Eunmi in a bridal style. Shocked as she was, Eunmi protested and, though lightly, hit his chest repeatedly.

“I must take you to your bedroom,” D.O told her.

“Wae?!” she shouted childishly.

“Yawning is like a person’s way of saying ‘I only have 20 per cent battery left’. You need to be full charged, therefore I must put you to bed,” he answered confidently.

“Pabo!” she began. “I don’t need to be put to bed. I’m not a child anymore!”

Despite Eunmi’s protests, D.O continued with his journey in putting the girl he liked to bed and was in a task of getting her to fall asleep. Being a ‘fangirl’, it was a quite a difficult job as, almost everyone knew, fangirls could be the stubborn type. But, he had managed to successfully take her to her bedroom and lay her to bed comfortably.

As D.O was about to exit the room, he turned around to her and sighed with the hope that maybe she would at least thank him for carrying her. He anticipated it but, it never came. Eunmi lay on her bed and had wrapped the covers over her head, pretending to sleep.

“Are you still not going to talk to me, Eunmi-ah?” D.O asked.

“Why did you follow me?” she finally said, bringing a smile on his face.

D.O closed the door behind him and proceeded to sit on the chair near the bed. He felt nervous in admitting that it was because of his jealousy that led him all the way to the park, and taking Baekhyun with him, too! His certainties of himself not being capable of experiencing feelings such as jealousy made him feel like he did not even know himself at all. In fact, he was sure that never in his course of life would he feel jealous.