Chapter 54: Unexpected visits

Third person Point of View

Eunmi's eyes slowly opened and the faint sound of bickering was what she heard first. Her fingers twitched and her head ached, but she was determined to see the two people standing at the edge of the bed. She squinted her eyes and when her vision finally came to focus, she found them unfamiliar.

"Eunmi!" one of them said, the moment she was noticed awake.

She furrowed her eyebrows. "Who are you?"

The two exchanged glances before one of them stepped closer to stand beside her, a mixed expression of hurt and bewilderment evident on the face.

"Y-You don't know who I am?"

"Should I?" Eunmi asked as she looked at the person in confusion.

"Do Kyungsoo doesn't ring a bell to you?" he asked.

"I'm sorry, no," she shook her head.

D.O stepped back as he stared at the ground in utter shock. He couldn't believe what he just heard. For sure, her ignoring him possibly for the rest of her life would have been bad, but completely forgetting about him was like a thousand daggers plunged into his body. He felt he would actually die.

"Hey," Eunmi spoke, and he looked up to her. "I'm totally just kidding."

"You... How... Why would you do that?!"

"Serves you right," she replied, trying to turn on her other side so that she'd be facing the other way. "I wish that I could wake up with amnesia, though. To forget about the secret kept from me."

"Eunmi," the other person, her mother, called. "We're really sorry for keeping it from you. I didn't even know Kyungsoo here is his son."

"That's what you're worried about?" she snickered, and then realising that she was actually lying on a hospital bed. "Wait, why am I here, anyway? What happened?"

"You got hit by a car and the driver called 119 as soon as he saw you unconscious. The hospital then called us because we're number 1 and 2 in your speed dial," D.O said.

"How long have I been here?"

"Two weeks," her mother answered.

"I've been asleep for two weeks?!" she shouted, but regretted it right after and groaned because of the pain that shot up her head.

"Kyungsoo flew in from having their tour to visit you," her mother informed.

"I think I would've been fine if he didn't," Eunmi muttered.

"Eunmi..." Sooyeon's voice trailed off.

"Can we talk alone for a bit?" D.O asked her mother, and she nodded, heading out the room.

"What is there to talk about?" Eunmi asked.

"There's plenty to talk about," D.O began. "I don't know how many times I have to say sorry to you in order to get your forgiveness, but I'm willing to do it for the rest of my life, if I have to. Eunmi, I'm really really sorry for keeping it a secret from you, but please understand that I did it to protect you."

"How is keeping it from me protecting me?" she rolled her eyes.

"When I first found out, the whole story wasn't revealed to me. I thought you were my half sister, not Bomi, and so that's why I broke up with you. It would've been wrong to be in love with my half sister. I didn't want you to know because I knew you would've been hurt since we were together at that time."

"And how do you think I'm feeling now?" she asked sarcastically.

"I know and I'm so sorry."

"Stop saying sorry. It's getting annoying," Eunmi whined as she fought back the tears urging to spill. "Saying sorry won't undo things, it just indicates each time you say it that you did something wrong. I get what you're trying to tell me, but I just... I can't believe that something this big would be kept from me. All my life, I've looked at other girls around me with their fathers. I thought mine left us because he didn't love us anymore, not because I was a result of an affair. I mean, I wasn't even wanted, I wasn't planned."