Chapter 14: Outside the gates

D.O’s Point of View

The past three days at the house was awkward. After the whole class found out about Eunmi and Baehyun’s kiss, Eunmi took absence from school, probably not wanting to face the reality that the students were still talking about what happened.

She was going to school today, not because she was ready, but because her mother had forced her to go. I understood why Soo Yeon wanted her daughter to go, I mean, after all, how can going to school hurt, right?

I stood outside the gate waiting for Eunmi, I thought this was the time I told her what the photo meant from couple days ago. I was so sure I was ready to tell her everything, but when the door opened and she was walking towards the door, my sudden confidence drifted and I had no choice but to hide behind one of the large disposing bins from across the road.

You’re a wuss, Kyungsoo. I told myself.

When Eunmi was about ten metres away, I decided to follow. I was headed to school after all. It was a weird feeling I got while walking behind her, I felt as if I just wanted to give her a hug from behind. I was aware that girls loved that. But obviously, I could not do that.

“Why do you like Baekhyun?” I whispered to myself.

-

Eunmi’s Point of View

Ever get that feeling like someone’s following you? Well, that was what I was feeling on the way to school. I didn’t want to turn around, of course. If I did, I would have been face to face with some maniac or someone like that. So, I kept walking and finally I arrived.

As soon as I entered the gates, I could sense piercing glares sent to my direction and all I could do was to dodge those glares. I knew they were still talking about me because rumours and news last for about two or three weeks before they slowly fade away.

When I got to my locker, I looked at myself from head to toe, and then patted my back for any stick-on notes.

I’m safe… for now, I thought.

I unlocked my locker and opened it, placing my bag and belongings inside, and getting out my books for first and second period. I have never been so anxious in my entire life, and you know why? There were at least a hundred EXO-K sasaeng fans at school, and they were bound to find me sooner or later.

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon.

When I turned around, six sasaeng fans of Baekhyun stood in front of me in close proximity. My heart began to beat really fast and my breathing was uneven. I could hear a ringing sound in my ear and everything seemed to be in slow motion but myself and the sasaengs.

“You kissed our oppa?” The one who appeared to be the leader, asked.

I opened my mouth, trying to utter the word ‘no’, but no words came out. All that escaped my mouth was a quiet squeak; a squeak that told them ‘yes, I am the girl you are looking for’.

“You have some guts,” one of them spoke.

Then, one girl who stood behind the group approached the front holding a soda drink and another girl stepped forward with eggs in her hand. That only meant one thing and one thing only – I was getting egged.

With hands raised in the air, and the soda and eggs ready to be launched either at my face or expensive uniform, I leaned back and arched my back forward. I shut my eyes closed to prevent myself from seeing the horrible scene that was to be played out. A couple of minutes passed and still I was not hit, so I opened my eyes.