Chapter 17: Fortune will tell

Third Person’s Point of View

As D.O swiftly carried Eunmi on his back, the sound of Hye Jin’s persistent yelling began to drift from their ears, indicating that they had lost her. Looking over the shoulder, Eunmi saw that Hye Jin was no longer in sight and so, she tapped D.O on his arm.

“She’s gone, we’ve lost her,” she said, not helping to let out her chuckle.

D.O stopped and bent down for Eunmi to hop off, he then turned around behind to see for himself that what Eunmi had informed him was correct.  He huffed out heavily, chest heaving up and down with every breath regained. D.O was exhausted. He bent himself forward and rested his hands on his knees, before looking up at Eunmi.

“You are heavier than you look, little lady,” he laughed breathlessly.

“Why, thank you for that compliment,” Eunmi replied sarcastically, punching his shoulder playfully.

The corner of D.O’s lips curved up in a smirk as he stood straight, his breath was now in order.  Eunmi and D.O once again looked at their surrounding and surprisingly, it was somewhere that they were familiar with. Eunmi looked excitedly at D.O, joyed that they were no longer lost, and D.O looked back at her as if they were sending each other telepathic messages.

“Do you see what I see?” Eunmi asked him.

“Y-Yeah. We’re … not lost anymore!” D.O answered, quickly grabbing Eunmi’s wrist and dragging her at the familiar train station.

Walking briskly, Eunmi’s shorter legs tried hard to catch up with D.O’s longer ones. She winced with every step as D.O’s grip was beginning to tighten. Eunmi pulled back and tugged at his arm, hoping that he would slow down but, it was to no avail.

“D-D.O-ya!” She screamed.

D.O finally stopped in his tracks and looked over his shoulder at her. He found Eunmi’s eyes that were appearing teary. What’s wrong? He thought. D.O noticed the way that she was standing, how it looked as if she wanted to distance herself from him. Slowly, he switched his gaze from her face to his hand that still held tight on her wrist. The area around her wrist appeared red and D.O immediately released her.

“I am so sorry,” D.O apologised regretfully, backing away from her as he shook his head.

“It’s okay, you’re … you’re just holding my wrist too tight.”

-

D.O’s Point of View

When Eunmi yelled my name, I wondered what was wrong. Did she not want to go home? I thought to myself. But, when I looked at her I saw the expression on her face; it was mixed with hurt and pain. I looked at my hand, which held her wrist, and saw her skin burn with the colour of red. I did not mean to do that.

I let go of her and apologised immediately for my action, and Eunmi responded to a swift. Hurting Eunmi was probably the last thing I would ever want to do. It was weird because I rarely grew fond of someone … especially a fan.

“Let’s just go,” I told her, my voice sadder this time.

I began to walk towards the train station and I heard Eunmi’s steps following close behind. We stayed quiet for the whole walk; not one of us attempting to start a conversation.

-

We rode the train and arrived to the station near Eunmi’s house, and decided we walked from there as it was not far. I could feel strange glances being sent to my direction, and then I remembered, I was still wearing the bucket hat and the ‘Harry Potter’ spectacles.