49. distraction

Draco pulls you out of the castle and down to the Forbidden Forest.

You: Honestly, Draco, where are we going?
Draco: You will see.
You: Draco, we need to study for our OWLs.
Draco: Because you've never taken them before? You'll be fine.

You roll your eyes as you enter the forest. It's bright from the sun as well as warm. You look around at the tall trees and the birds flying by as Draco takes you in deeper. You continue to look around when you suddenly notice someone, barefooted, petting some sort of black dead horse thing. Draco crouches down behind a bush, taking you with him, as the girl pulls an apple out of her bag. You look closely at her hair and outfit, realizing who it is. Luna Lovegood.

You: It's Luna.
Draco: What is she doing in the forest with no shoes? And why is she throwing apples at the ground when nothing is there.
You: You don't see the dead horses.
Draco: What dead horses?

You stare at him before you look back at Luna as she reaches her pale hand out and pets one of them. You let go of Draco's hand and stand up to go and walk towards her but, he pulls you back.

Draco: What are you doing?
You: Trust me.

You pull your arm away and slowly walk over to her trying not to startle the horses. You stand slightly behind her as you look at them eating the apple out of her palm.

Luna: Beautiful aren't they?
You: What are they?
Luna: Thestrals.

She smiles as the thestral walks over to you, sniffing you.

You: How come we can see them and others can't?
Luna: Like Draco hiding in the bushes?

You both giggle as she turns to you.

Luna: People who've seen death before their eyes can see them.

You look down at your feet as you realize that your dream was true.

Luna: Even though it's a depressing thought, they are beautiful creatures.

You look up from the ground and quickly wipe away the tears that happened to fall from your eyes.

You: Yes, they are.

You stare at the thestral's deep blue eyes as it looks at you.

"You would think, because this creature is a symbol of death, it would see into your soul, make it cold. But it really is relaxing me more than anything."

You reach your hand out to allow it to smell you before you pat its little head. The skin against your palm is cool and sort of soft. You smile as the thestral rubs its head against your palm.

Luna: Draco is worried you've gone crazy with me. I can hear his thoughts from here. He is a very loud thinker.
You: You can hear his thoughts?
Luna: A little. He thinks about you a lot.

You smile as you turn your head to look at the platinum blonde hair hiding behind the green bush. Draco stands up and walks over to you, muttering swears as he gets closer. Luna doesn't turn around as she feeds a little baby thestral.

Luna: Hello, Draco.

Draco stops in his tracks and looks at her as she pats the baby's little head.

Luna: I could hear your thoughts hiding behind the bush, I didn't know that you found me frightening.
Draco: Erm... okay.

Draco walks over to you and stares at your outstretched arm. Draco leans near your ear and whispers...

Draco: Why are you petting the air?
You: You don't have to worry, I'm fine.

You pat the thestral's head one last time before you pull your hand back and turn to smile at Luna.