64. ambush

Original:
You didn't pay attention to the entire ceremony as you stared at the locket, trying to figure out what it means. What it symbolizes. Why Dumbledore gave it to you. You got nudged by Alice when they were about to kiss but, that was all you watched of the wedding. Now you're sitting at a table in the tent, watching Fleur and Bill dance their first dance as husband and wife. The locket is on the table next to you and not in your hands, for once. Harry walks over to your table and sits down across from you.

Harry: Wow, you finally put the locket down. Are you okay?

You turn to him and flip him off, to exhausted and frustrated to speak. He sticks out his tongue and turns towards the bride and groom.

"Why can't I figure this locket out. I know I'm not that stupid, I mean come on," you think to yourself.

Lupin: At this time, the bride and groom ask for other couples to join them on the dance floor.

People begin to shuffle, bringing others out to dance with. Harry quickly stands and walks over to Ginny leaving you alone again. You smirk a little as Alice and George are on the dance floor. She turns to you wide eyed, making you laugh. You see in the corner of your eye someone standing next to you, you didn't even see them walk over. You turn and see your father holding his hand out for you.

James: Care to dance, princess?

You smile and nod, taking his hand, letting him lead you onto the dance floor. He holds you close, like any father would, as you sway back and forth to the music.

James: Mind telling me what's bugging you? You haven't been yourself since you heard the news of Dumbledore.

You sigh, knowing you should tell someone.

You: It's this locket, Dad. I've seen it before, the same exact one. The other one was intriguing and it pulled you in as it swirled and moved, and I heard whispers when I was near it. This one is just plain. It doesn't intrigue you and I don't hear whispers. It's just a regular old locket.
James: Well, have you tried opening this locket. There could be a clue inside. 

You look up at your father and smile.

"He's a genius."

You: Oh my Merlin!

He smiles.

James: For now, we shall dance. Enjoy this moment, my love. For once, everything seems to be okay.

You look into his eyes as a few tears escape yours. He chuckles and wipes them away before he leans down and kisses your forehead. You nuzzle your head into his chest as he sways you to the music. You wish you could've stayed in that moment forever. But, the song ends and a faster song comes on. Your father steps away from you, still holding your hands, smiling.

James: Try to have some fun. Ignore the locket. It will be there tomorrow.

You nod making your fathers smile grow. You smile and walk away to go and stand near Alice and Hermione who are giggling.

You: What are you two giggling about?

They don't say anything and point at Fred and George who are dancing to the music like dorks. You turn to the girls, disgust on your face. You all stare at each other for a minute before you all burst out laughing. The first time you have really laughed in a long time.

"It feels good to laugh."

You: I'm gonna get a drink.

The girls nod, not taking their eyes off the twins. You shake your head in embarrassment as you walk to the punch bowl. Just as your about to grab a cup, a small blonde girl walks up next to you. You turn and see Luna smiling at you.