59. package

Draco:
-Thursday-

The ball is tomorrow.

How will I explain it to her? Will she listen?

I continue to pace back and forth across my room, thinking of everything that can go wrong tomorrow night.

She can find out as soon as she walks in. She could find out with a big announcement. She may never find out until the end. Will she run? Cry? Apparate? Never want to talk to me again?

Draco: I'm fucked.

I continue to pace my room, thinking of what I can do to fix this mess. Show her that I love her, truly.

Maybe she'll think nothing of the party and know it was a set up. But what to give her so she knows I love her?

I go through the list of things I've given her in my head, thinking of what to give her next.

I've given her a necklace, a bracelet, many rings, sweatshirt, photos...

A knock on my door makes me jump from my thoughts.

Narcissa: Honey, can I come in?

I sigh before I walk to the door, unlock and open it. Mother smiles at me with a tux bag draped over her arm.

Narcissa: We need to do a fitting.

I don't say anything and nod, letting her in. She slightly smiles and walks over to my bed, setting the bag down.

Narcissa: I just want you to know...

She turns to me, worry across her face.

Narcissa: I want you to be happy, your father and I want you to have the best.

I doubt father wants me to be happy, he just wants money and pure blood to stay in the family.

Narcissa: I was just wondering... why do you hate the idea of getting engaged?

I want to tell her the truth, I really do. But, I know I can't.

Draco: I told you, I want to live my life before I need to settle down.
Narcissa: That's the only reason?

No.

Draco: Yes.

Mother nods and turns back to the tux, taking it out before handing it to me. It's all black of course, with a black tie. I sigh and walk to the bathroom to change into it. As I close the door, I hear mother sigh.

She knows somethings wrong, she knows me so well.

As I'm changing, I hear her footsteps walk towards the bathroom door.

Narcissa: Draco?

Her voice is shaky, and full of worry.

Draco: Yes, Mother?

She sighs again, hesitating.

Narcissa: I want you to know that... I don't want this engagement party.

What?

Narcissa: But, your father does, and how am I supposed to disagree, you know your father.

That I do. He's a piece of shit.

Narcissa: That's why I acted excited, but deep down I know you're not ready.

I finish getting dressed and quickly walk to the door to open it. Mother's face is pale and her eyes are glossy. I smile slightly and hug her, pulling her in tight. She pulls away and wipes her eyes before she smiles.