Chapter 16

(Episode 671 - 674)

Both Subaru and Shiori were on the living room, one was drinking coffee while the other drank hot chocolate. 

The woman noticed that the man was wearing the choker but not using it. She smiled with content after seeing him let his guard down around her. 

They were watching the morning news when her black phone on the coffee table rang. Shiori placed the cup down and her screen displayed the name of Yael. She answered the call. "Hello?"

[Shiori, about the case we filed against ...]

"Wait a minute," Shiori stood up, excused herself to Subaru then pinched his cheek and walked out of the room. "You can talk now,"

[They said that we don't have enough evidence to win the case,] Yael started and she could hear the rustling of paper on the other line.

Yael flew back to Europe to ask for his uncle's help, who is a lawyer to handle her case against the senator who ordered her abduction.

"I'm sorry, you and the team are having because of me." Shiori said and leaned on the wall. That night kept on haunting her, even in her dreams but every time she saw that scene, the man with silver hair would appear to save her.

The feelings she get when she saw that man, it feels like ice ran through her veins. He looks dangerous but for some reason, he's gentle. He held her as if she was as fragile as a glass.

[And, I don't know if I should tell you this or not,] Yael's voice started to minimize, [The police and coastguard are covering up this report but the yacht where you were held ... it exploded in the middle of the sea.]

"What?" Shiori asked and leaned on the wall.

[Yes, and they found some corpse floating around but when they took it for an autopsy, the cause of their deaths where the bullets on their heads.]

This made Shiori gag and she could feel something rising from her stomach to her throat. Who would do that? Someone who had a grudge to the gang? But what an awful karma.

[Shiori, are you still there? Shiori. Shi-] 

Subaru appeared behind her and took the phone from her. He held her hand while the other was holding the phone to his ear. "Hello? It's Subaru - the same Subaru Okiya."

While Yael was discussing her case to Subaru over the phone, the man's hand interlocks with her left and his thumb caressed the back of her hand, calming her down.

...

All day, the man didn't leave her side although Shiori noticed that he was wearing an earpiece. What is he listening into? Does he have an assignment?