Chapter 23

...

(Episode 722 - 723)

"AHHHH!" An ear-piercing scream echoed through the second floor of the Kudou's mansion.

Shuichi slammed down his glass on the study table, spilling some alcohol and ran to Shiori's room. An intruder? Her scream sounds like she's terrified.  

"Shiori!" He yelled and kicked the door open, taking out the gun from his coat and pointed in the air.

He was dumbfounded when he saw no one was inside her room and Shiori was sitting on her bed, her knees folded to her chest while clutching a huge white teddy bear.  

"What happened?" He asked, running to sit beside the woman.

Shiori sniffled, "I ... I saw that headless man again ... He keeps on saying that he wants his head back." She cried. "If only I could sew it back, I'll do it to stop this nightmare!"

I knew it, it's about that recent vampire case. "It's just a dream," Shuichi cooed, wiping her tears with his thumbs then hugged the woman to calm her. "I'll stay here until you sleep. Alright?"

"Mmmm." She replied and leaned her head on his chest. It's warm. "As expected of Subaru-san," it feels so safe, she mumbled and cuddled closer.

"Why do you still call me Subaru?" He asked.

"Just because ... I may accidentally call you Shuichi in public. Just like how I don't call Conan, Shinichi and Ai-chan, Shiho." She answered with her eyes closed, feeling his warmth.

Is that all? You sure you aren't only in love with my Subaru façade? Shuichi wanted to ask but he knew Shiori is too tired to answer him back.

"Lie down." He said and assisted the woman to lie back on the bed and placed the teddy bear on her side before he lied down on his side to look at her. "Do you want me to sing you a lullaby?" 

Shiori opened her eyes and looked at him.

 "What?"

"Nothing, I never thought you'd say that." She said with a smile.