Chapter 8

" I heard that you refuse to wear the clothes I bought for you," said prince Corvus. He was way at ease today and that frightened me. I could tell he was one of those people who could mask anger with calmness. That was what scared me most. I was just waiting for the moment were he would explode and punish me.

" I know what you are trying to do. If you think extravagant outfits will buy my cooperation, you are wrong," I said gruffly.

" You are quite an ungrateful little thing, you know that. Here I am, trying to be kind to you yet you throw my kindness right on my face. What does that tell you about yourself?" he asked calmly, staring intently at me.

" That tells me that I am quite clever to refuse your gifts. You are just trying to buy me," I said nonchalantly.

" What is there to buy? I can easily get what I want from you and you won't be able to stop me. I'm being very generous for giving you a choice. Either you give yourself to me or I forcefully take you. At the end you will bear my child, " he said with finality, his arms crossing over his chest.

I was wearing yet another nightmare of a dress. The dress was long and maroon and it trailed over my body like a curtain. It was hideous.

" Why don't you just mate with a willing lass? I can see that you loath me so much. Why put up with me?" I asked curiously.

" If you haven't noticed, there are quite a few women in the our species. I put up with you because I don't have a choice. "

" The gods of Moggadoria are punishing you. You have done a many evil things over the years. For once, do the right thing and release me. The gods have a way of doing miracles." I was hoping he'd listen to me.

" Nice try, halfling. You will not change my mind. When the Hollow Moon graces the sky with its presence, I will fulfill my father's wish. You will bear the future of this clan," he said, a smirk plastered on his face. I felt like crying. Why wasn't this working?

He was not afraid of the gods. He knew that I was trying to scare him with talks of gods. The next Hollow Moon was only a few weeks away. I had to escape this hellhole. The last thing I wanted was housing a child. I was far too young. I still wanted to finish my studies and fulfill my dream of becoming a member of the governing council.

I wanted to implement a law that was against the killing of halflings. I wanted to legalize the marriage between different species. There was a lot to look forward to. Being locked up in this room was not going to get me to reach my goals.

There was a knock at the door. Prince Corvus sighed in frustration. " Do yourself a favour and accept your fate. " He went to the door and he opened it. " What is it, Neisha? " he asked irritably. " The Queen has arrived and she's asking for you, " said the lass. I couldn't see who the lass was but her name sounded familiar to my ears. She had to be one of the king's servants.

Prince Corvus glanced at me before leaving. I had to escape today but how? I was locked up in this room. I was not an expert at martial arts. I was not a trained spy who could escape from any trap.

I went to the tall windows of the room. The windows refused to open up. They were also too high to consider jumping from. This was hopeless. I plopped on the windowseat. " Damn you, prince Corvus, " I muttered under my breath.

I had to do something, not only for myself but for my mom. She would never want me to give up. She always told me not to let anyone control me because of my identity and if I was punished for being who I am, she said I must fight.

I was going to escape for all the halfbloods who died by the hands of the royals.

I heard the door being unlocked. Shanda got in. She was the servant who had an unnatural deslike for me that was bordering on insanity. She was pushing in a cart that carried my breakfast. I glanced at the glass plate on top of the cart. I had to act fast.

When she bend over to pick up the laundry basket at the door, I slowly crept to her, took the plate and I hit her with it. I made sure to aim for her head, making her unconscious. I felt no satisfaction for what I did. As much as it pained me to inflict pain on her, she was keeping me away from my freedom.

This was a necessary evil and I would have time to repent for it once I was free from this place. When I stepped in the corridor I felt like jumping for joy. This was it.

I ran from corridor to corridor. When I came upon staircases I would take two at a time. I had no idea where I was going but I hoped with all that I am that the gods of Moggadoria would lead me in the right direction. It was in the early hours of the morning and many people were still fast asleep. The third staircase I took led me down to what must've been the fourth corridor.

I abruptly halted when I saw a guard standing before a door across the corridor. Upon studying his features he seemed to be asleep. I walked away from him as quickly as I could. When I reached the end of the corridor I glanced back at the guard to make sure he was still asleep.

Someone gripped my hand. A hand covered my mouth to muffle my scream of protest. It was not prince Corvus, thank the gods, but that didn't make me any less frightened than I already was. It was one of the lads who had accompanied prince Corvus to capture me at Loreali Academy. He glared at me." Please, let me go, " I pleaded.

" Do you have a death wish? " he asked. I just sobbed miserably. There goes my only chance of escaping.

* * *

I was back in my prison. The lad who had brought me back was standing, his back against the wall, arms crossed over his chest, glaring at me with his obsidian orbs.

" Why did you bring me back here? " I glared at him.

" Does my suffering please you that much?" I asked, pain laden in my voice.

" Why can't you just accept that you can never escape? The king would've had you killed if the guards saw you. Does your life not mean anything to you?" he asked softly.

" I'm going to die one way or the other. At least if he had caught me trying to escape and killed me for it, I would die knowing that I tried my hardest to be free. You've ruined everything. I might as well be dead."

" I never pegged you for someone who easily gives up. Do not be quick to rush to your death. "

" Do you think I enjoy risking my life? You have no idea of what I'm going through. Go ahead and report me to the king. I don't care what he does to me. Just leave me alone, " l said angrily. He sighed heavily and then he left.

I laid amidst the bed staring at the window. That lad had just killed me. For some reason the whole escaping plan had seemed too good to be true. I was not a lucky person. Deep down in my heart I knew that I was never getting out of here even if I give them what they want. They were going to torment me until I take my last breath.

The bed I once thought was heaven gave me no comfort. It was cold and I felt bound to it with shackles. This room might be better looking than cell in the dungeon but it was exactly like that cell. For the first time in my life, I found myself longing for for Dad. The thought of my handsome Dad had me sobbing till I fell asleep.

♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

Chapter eight is done. I know I said I'd be updating one chapter each week but I can't stop writing. I hope you enjoy the chapter. This is not the end of Emmeranne's attempts at escaping. Thanks for reading my book.

MARTHA STREAMS