chapter 11

The note I had received last night had me up all night. Who in their right mind would think of saving prince Corvus's second wife. That person had to be begging for death.

I didn't want to be freed If it meant that my savior would sacrifice his or her own life for me. I couldn't live with that. I believed that the gods would make a way for me without people getting killed in the process.

I was currently in the lush garden of the palace. I sat on on a marbled bench surrounded by the trimmed lawn and purple and mauve flowers. The evergreen trees stood tall and proud shielding me from the harsh glare of the sun. Three guards stood close to me, ever vigilant and cautious of my every move.

A dark haired lass was about twenty feet away from me, tending to the flamboyant flowers in the garden. The crimson dress she wore danced in sync with the wind. Her long midnight black hair was tied up and braided. Tiny braids on the sides joined the main thick braid intricately.

A look of joy and serenity brightened her celestial face. I wanted to approach her and share in her joy but the guards wouldn't let me. The gold jewellery she wore looked far too extravagant for it to belong to a commoner. She had to be a relative of the Darkrest clan.

She kept stealing glances at me, which had me thinking what she must've thought of me. I stared at her as she gathered athelas in her arms . She placed them on the ground and tied the up with a crimson band. When she was done she smiled at her work. She looked like she belonged in this colourful haven.

Then she astonished me by sauntering my way. She walked with grace befitting a deity. The guards tried to stop her but with a flick of her fair toned hand they continued to stand where they were.

I studied her. Her eyes were the deepest shade of red I've ever seen which was strange for a Corbinuous. She sat on the ground before me and she placed the bunch of athelas beside her.

She stared intently at me. It was a bit unnerving. Her eyes were starting to creep me out. I looked away. She smiled sadly at my reaction. Was this sorcery?

Why would the gods give her such frighteningly strange eyes. Was this the work of the gods of Uffilia?

" Hedis, Emmeranne," she greeted softly with her singsong voice. I stared back at her." Hedis, " I said uneasily.

Her smile brightened. " These are for you." She handed me the bunch of athelas . ' Do not accept gifts from your captors, Emmeranne ' I chastised myself but looking at the innocence that glinted in her blood eyes I couldn't reject her gift.

She was far too innocent for her own good. I sniffed at the scarlet flowers. I sighed in contentment.

" Who are you and why have you given me these flowers? " I enquired. She smiled, amusement twinkling in her blood eyes.

" I'm Athela and I gave you those flowers to comfort you."

I was baffled by her answers. Her name was Athela? That was strange.

" Like the flower, " I murmured. Her name suited her in more ways than one. She was beautiful, strange and much too kind like the flower. Athelas didn't choose were they grew. They grew wherever they could and bloomed all year round.

Her smile grew wide when she saw me smile. " Are you a gardener? "

She chuckled heartily at my question. " In all the years of my life no one has ever asked me such a question. No, I'm not a gardener. I'm afraid I can't tell you what I am. You will hate me if you knew about me and I can't bear that."

If she wasn't a gardener,what could she possibly be?

Her body marks suddenly appeared. They were gold and effulgent. " I have to go. It was a pleasure meeting you, Emmeranne."