Chapter 22

I woke up to the sound of humming and gentle fingers running through my hair. I peered at Ravenna who was staring intently at me. " What the hell are you doing? " I asked, annoyance laden in my voice.

" I'm sorry if I make you uncomfortable," she murmured softly. I honestly didn't mind what she was doing. It made me remember my mother. She used to tend to my hair all the time.

I was relieved that the prince never came to the room last night. Only gods knew what he planned to do to me. " Can you take me to see my friends?"

" Yes I will. You can't tell Corvus about it. He will literally skin me alive for this." She got off the bed and headed to the bathroom. I was confused by what she said. Why would want she do defy her mate for me?

What had happened to the princess who detested me with a passion? Meyleisha was not kidding when she said everything was crazy when I was gone. Ravenna was treating me like a friend and the prince still treated me like a slave but he listed for me. This was an astounding change in demeanour.

I sighed heavily and waited for Ravenna to come out of the bathroom. Catana and Meyleisha came into the room. I was kind of disappointed that Hualing didn't come with them. She was tending to Princess Athela. Whoever that was.

Ravenna came out and I trudged in the bathroom. I did my morning routine and walked back in the room. Ravenna was already dressed up and she looked ravishingly beautiful. Catana and Meyleisha dressed me up as well.

They didn't say anything. Now I think every servant was petrified of Ravenna. They were acting quite unusual. They left when they were done.

Ravenna approached the floor length mirror. She uttered a few words and the mirror opened. It was secret door.

" Let's go see your friends, shall we?" She flashed me a crooked grin. I was still skeptical about her sudden change in demeanour. I just couldn't bring myself to trust her.

" I'm not leading you in a trap, if that's what you're thinking. You are sad and I want to make you happy. " She looked away, a blush creeping on her cheeks.

" The only thing that will make me happy is seeing my friends and I out of this hellish pit, " I snapped,folding my arms over my chest. She glared at me. " You know I can't do that, Emmeranne. I can't give you freedom but I can give you a slice of happiness. I'm not as evil and heartless as you think I am."

I walked in the secret passages and she got in after me. She uttered a few words and the mirror door closed behind us. She passed me so that she could lead the way to wherever my saviors were imprisoned.

After going through other passages and staircases, we stooped infront of another door. Ravenna opened the door and checked the coast for any royal members. When she was satisfied with her observations, she motioned for me to come out. I did everything she wanted me to do. In such cases there were no room for mistakes.

The last thing I wanted was getting us caught. We walked silently in a dark corridor. There was a black steel door at the end of the corridor. Two guards clad in black leather clothes stood on either side of the door. They held menacing tall silver jagged spears that glinted in the light of the torches that lined the walls. I swallowed nervously at the sight of them.

I was seconds from turning on my heels and heading back to where I came from.

" Vhi a krivlo." She ordered. They bowed before opening the door. We walked into what looked like a dungeon. It dull and depressing. It reminded me of the cell I was thrown into when I first got here.

We passed the bared cells until we reached the last one. The air reeked of blood, sweat and urine. I had the urge to puke at the putrid stench that wafted from the cells.