Chapter 9

CORVUS BLAYZE DARKREST

" Corvus, my dear, dear son. I've missed dearly, " said the Queen. Even though her voice indicated how happy she was, she didn't attempt to embrace me. That was the Queen for you and unfortunately my mother. She was undoubtedly a great queen but not a good mother.

She was in her study. It was as extravagant and feminine as you would expect for the Queen. The walls were painted burgundy with portraits of herself adorning the walls. The sitting area had royal blue English couches that had burgundy throw pillows. Across the room there was a grand dark brown table with an navy blue armchair behind it. There were tall bookcases behind the table and the chair with a collection of novels,and books of our history, culture and laws. I stared at my mother.

She was sitting elegantly on her favourite burgundy armchair looking at the view through the window. Beauty truly preceded her. She was picture perfect as always, not looking a day over fourty five. I strode towards her. She stared at me, a smile plastered on her face.

" How was your journey to the country of Lambadha? " I asked as I sat on the armchair across her." It was wonderful. The culture of the Correons is amazing. The mateless girls there are exotic and ravishing. You should have accompanied me on my journey. "

" I had more pressing matters I had to attend to here at home. I'm sure Father has already told you of what was going on."

" Where is the halfblood?" she asked, staring intently at me. " She's in one of the guest rooms," I said." Gods of Moggadoria! Why are you treating her like a guest. She's a foul little creature that belongs in the dungeons," she exclaimed. I rolled my eyes at her reaction.

" Do you really want the woman who will house your grandchild to be treated like a prisoner? I don't want her to get an infection from those foul smelling cells. "

" Well, have you had any intimacy with her?" she asked. I groaned at her question." How could you ask that question, mother. I still have to consider my mate's feelings. She's still against father's plan, " I muttered.

" Gods, are waiting for the halfblood to get old? You are not getting any younger. The sooner you impregnate her, the better your chances at becoming the king. The last thing I want is having to bow down to that devious Arazelda and her philandering husband," she said angrily.

" We can't wait for Ravenna's approval. Do this for your family." I hated this. Everyone kept saying that I should impregnate the halfblood for the family. I

felt like I was the only one doing everything to keep the throne while everyone enjoyed the fruits of my hard work.

" Your father and I have been fighting to make sure our clan remains the ruling clan and now it's your turn to fight. You don't get to refuse your duties. If you don't want to see the Lanchess clan trampling over us, you will do it. Do you understand? " she asked, glaring at me.

" Yes, I understand." She heaved a sigh of annoyance. " I'm pleased you understand. Now,where is your sister?"

" She's tending to her flowers in her glamorous greenhouse. " She shook her head in disapproval. " Sometimes I wonder if she's really my daughter. She has no hunger for ruling this clan," she frowned. I chuckled at the thought of my sister.

Athela was the only pure hearted royal pureblood in this palace. She was the light in this gloomy fortress of darkness. Sometimes I envied how nonchalant and innocent she was but that only made her vulnerable to the predators who wanted to taint her. She only saw the good in everything and everyone.

When I was done conversing with the she-devil that is my mother I went to see my halfblood. She was a thorn from the throno flowers. I hated her yet I couldn't bring myself to destroy her.