Chapter 24

We were all in the throne room for Corvus's  coronation. All the nobles of Oviikron Fernus Kingdom were seated on crystal chairs facing the throne. The immediate family members and relatives sat on golden chairs closer to the throne. I sat next to Ravenna and Athela.

It had been a week since I found out about my pregnancy. Not a day went by without me feeling like everything was just a terrible dream and any minute I'd wake up from it, find myself at the Academy and laugh it off with Hasina, Sebestian and Garnnete.

With each morning I woke up to my awful reality came morning sickness and back pains.

The prince now treated me like a fragile centrepiece, infact, all the royal members treated me that way. And to think just a few months ago I was a filthy halfblood cursed for who I was.

My pregnancy was the only thing that deemed me worthy for affection in the eyes of the royals. My fertile womb kept me alive.

I narrowed my eyes at the king and his wife. They were sitting arrogantly on the throne basking in the attention given to them by the people of this rotten kingdom.

My eyes wandered to Athela, who was fiddling with her fingers, her brows furrowed with deep concentration. I was still astonished by whom she truly was.

She was still the same kind lass I met and I still regarded her the same way. With curiousity and amazement. She was just so perfect and serene. It was like she was not for this world. Her place was with the gods of Moggadoria. There was nothing that gave away her true identity.

Her relationship with prince Corvus was really shocking. She was nothing like her family. Everything about her made me think of a drop of milk in a sea on blood. A lily surrounded by thorn bushes. So pure and innocent. Untouched by the evil that radiated off of her family.

Right this moment I wondered what she thought of them; her family. It must've been really hard for her to live surrounded by the darkness that plagued the palace. It must feel cold and suffocating to be her.

Back when I was at Loreali Academy, in healing science class Miss Petunias told us of a Corbinuous lass who was touched by the gods. She never said whom she was but she told us that she was the only female in the Chorrubin species who could heal.

Now looking at Athela and the way nature responded to her, she was the gifted lass. Her red eyes, though eerie, gave away who she was. It was such a bad she couldn't heal the kingdom.

I gazed at my the white fabric of my dress that cloaked my belly. Gods, I really envied her purity. She reminded me of what I lost at the hands of her brother.

The king stood from the throne and lifted his hand to cease the murmurs of the nobles.

" Welcome, my people. It seems this is our year of greatness. The gods have answered our pleas. My son has made me exceedingly proud of him. Not only has he given us ab heir, he has also brightened the future of our coven." The people ululated and applauded in response to the king's words.

" It goes without any doubt that he is worthy for the throne. My son has grown to be a man and a fierce leader. I'm truly happy to step down from the throne for him and with his reign, our kingdom will be forever be at peace and our people will no longer suffer. " That earned more cheers and incantations.

I rubbed at my belly gently. The Queen caught me doing so and she smiled at me. I didn't return her smile. There was really nothing to smile about. They had forced this pregnancy on me when I was not prepared.

I didn't hate my baby. I loathed how he or she was brought to this world. I stared at the swirly marks painted on my right hand. The same hand that was rubbing my belly.