A new soldier

It was Saturday night.
I didn't want to be late.

I placed on my dress that I had laid out on my bed ready. It was a bright blue colour to match his eyes. I placed on my white kitten heels so I could at least stand up to his chest as we danced.

I went into the bathroom and applied a light layer of makeup not forgetting the red lipstick knowing it was their favourite.
I left my hair in it's natural waves but pinned it up so it wouldn't get in the way when we danced.

I sighed and smiled at my reflection before picking up my bag and heading out.

It was 19:45 the time I reached the Stork Club. I was hoping he wouldn't be late, he usually comes to these things much earlier than anyone else but I had a feeling he would be late today.

I went into the Club and was met with soft music playing and the sound of people chatting happily amongst themselves. I sat at a small round table and ordered myself a lemonade with two straws before watching the young couples dance together. Hoping I could soon do that with Steve.

I waited patiently.
8:00. I knew he would be late.
8:15
8:30
8:50
9:00
10:00

The club was closing. But I still hoped. I still dreamed he would burst through the doors looking all frazzled as he apologised profusely for being late out of work. I dreamed he would sweep me off my feet and we dance together in here till dawn. But the more I waited. The more I realised my reality was just a dream.

I heard the clicking of heels hitting the wooden floor and I stared at my hands placed upon the table I had been sitting at all night.
"He's not coming Allison."

It was Peggy.
"I know. But there was still a small amount of hope left in me that he would be here." I whispered quietly.
Tears had already fallen and the pain had returned. I tried so hard to fight it. But I couldn't.
"You don't have to do this alone Ali. I'm here for you." Peggy placed a hand on my shoulder and soon she hugged me tucking my younger self into her chest and comforting me.
At least I still had Peggy.

She was the older sister I never had.

It had been four long months.
Four months spent getting back onto my feet and working my ass off. Peggy and Howard were there for me the whole way. We had started up S.H.I.E.L.D together and become the founders of the governmental spy organisation. We vowed to protect the world from the bad that hid within it, we never wanted another occurrence like HYDRA;s.

Howard's and my project was never pushed aside. If anything we worked relentlessly day and night on it. It wasn't till July 31st 1947 when we concluded the project. A week before my birthday.
I was sitting outside of my cottage in Washington enjoying the comforting summer heat hitting my body, when Howard came outside and sat next to me. He sat with me for a while enjoying my company until he spoke up.

"We did it."
I turn to face him and smiled brightly.
"We did it." I smiled.
"We'll need a soldier to test it on." He said.
"No. No we won't."

He turned to me in confusion but when I fully faced him with a look of determination across my face he sighed.
"Ali-"
"No please. Ever since Steve and Bucky passed away I've been searching for my purpose. There is a reason I worked so hard on this. Please, Howard. Let me do this."

He didn't want to argue he just nodded his head and smiled at me. I encased him in a hug. Our friendship had grown drastically in the near two years I had known him. I always thought Howard was a flirt and a brat however, ever since working with him he's shown me passion for what he does and determination like I never knew. I stayed in his arms until the wind grew colder and the darkness creeped into the sky I was gazing at previously. Now we just had to tell Peggy...

"No! No! Did I mention no! Are you out of your mind?" She fumed. Howard and I looked at each other. We knew she wouldn't take the news very well.
"Peggy-" Howard sighed.
"No don't Peggy me!"
"You want Margret then?" He sassed.
I rolled my eyes, not the time Stark.
"Peggy. Listen to me." I said softly grabbing her hands and making her look at me.
"I want to do this. It's my choice." I say softly.
"I know. I-I just don't want to loose you." Peggy spoke softly.
"I know."
I pulled her in for a hug but the decision had already been made. I was going to be the next super-soldier.

Two days after my confirmation over the plan. We were ready to complete the process. I woke up nervous but while getting ready for my procedure all those nerves faded away. This was my purpose. I always thought of what my future would be and nothing ever felt right. But this, for the first time, did.

"You gonna be ok?" Howard asked coming over to me.
"Yeah. It'll be a piece of cake." I smiled.
"Ok. But you have to promise me, the minute it gets to much I switch it off deal?" He asks seriously.
"Deal." I agree and shake his hand.

I waste no time getting into the newly upgraded chamber. I smile over at Peggy to reassure her and she smiles back. This felt like deja-vu but with me being in Steve's position. I waited as I got strapped into the cot.
"Serum infusion beginning in five, four, three, two, one." I heard Howard call. I felt the liquid being injected into me and a rush of adrenaline kicked in making my senses go wild. I could hear everything around me from Howard talking to the quite hum of the machines around me. My vision grew wider and I could almost see a full 180 degrees. I could smell every single chemical in the lab. It felt strange and overwhelming but it didn't hurt. Instead it felt right.

I suddenly felt the chamber close around me and I took deep breaths and let my mind travel back in my memories to all the good moments I spent with Steve and Bucky. After all, if this goes wrong. Something good still comes out of it as I will be reunited with them.

"That's ten percent. Twenty percent. Thirty. That's 40 %. That's 50 %. Sixty. Seventy." I heard Howard counting.
I struggled in my restraints feeling the burning sensation travelling through my veins. I let out a groan but didn't scream, if anything the pain felt weird in a good way. I breathed deeply and kept my eyes shut envisioning my two blue-eyed boys in front of me.
"Eighty. Ninety. That's 100 %!"

Soon after I heard Howard announce that, I felt cool air hit my body. I had only been dressed in loose black pants and a tank top. I felt arms help me out the chamber and I breath heavily looking around.
"Did it work?" I ask Howard.
"Well your definitely taller." He smiled.
I looked over to Peggy on my left and she smiled brightly at me.
"You did it Allison."
"Yeah I did didn't I."

This was the moment my life changed for the better. I was now Allison Smith, America's new hope.