Back to the past

Steve Rogers was standing on a bridge above the secret hideout that his team was currently situated in.

He was in deep thought and this led him to relive old memories and flashback to the time he spent with Bucky and Allison after his mother's funeral.

Bucky and Allison were walking Steve back home. Steve had a blank expression on his face but he seemed to be hiding all his pain within. You could see it in his eyes. The once bright blue ones, were now dull and grey. Bucky was trying to cheer the pair up as Allison felt nothing but pain and grief for Steve. She wore a small frown but whenever one of the boys turned to look at the young blonde, a smile easily graced her lips. Even if it was fake.

Both boys knew this but Steve especially was thankful Allison was staying strong. She was the glue that held them together in these rough times. A smile from her was like a spoonful of medicine.

"We looked for you after. My folks wanted to give you a ride to the cemetery." Bucky spoke as they walk towards Steve's apartment.

"I know, I'm sorry. I just...kind of wanted to be alone." Steve muttered.
Allison came forward and grabbed Steve's hand tightly in hers giving him a smile. He shared a tight one back, thankful for the comfort her warm hand brought him.
"You don't have to apologise for anything Steve. Especially not how you feel. You don't have to be alone you know?" Allison told him softly.

"I know." Steve said quietly.
"How was it?" Bucky asked referring to the ceremony. He couldn't attend as he was at school.
"It was okay. She's next to Dad." Steve informed him with a frown, making Ali squeeze Steve's hand in reassurance.
"I was gonna ask..." Allison led on.
"I know what you're gonna say, Ali, I just..." Steve cut off.

Ali not wanting to pressure Steve stopped but Bucky carried on the conversation thinking it was a good idea ever since Allison brought it up to him.
"We can put the couch cushions on the floor like when we were kids. It'll be fun. All you gotta do is shine my shoes, maybe take out Ali here on a date." Bucky grinned.
Steve and Ali both let off a small smile at the young boy's joke.

As they get to the apartment door, Steve tries to find his keys, Bucky kicks a brick aside, picks up the apartment keys from under it and gives it to Steve.
"Come on." He continues.
"Thank you, Buck, Ali but I can get by on my own." Steve assured them.
"The thing is, you don't have to." Ali whispered as Bucky gives Steve a friendly pat on the shoulder.
"We're with you to the end of the line, pal." Bucky softly told Steve making us all smile truly.

The three were never alone because they always had each other and that was all they needed.