Revisiting the past

Steve was right the motorcycle journey was exactly what I needed to cool me down. The way the wind whipped through my hair, it was as if my problems were flowing away with it. Steve was driving a little faster than usual, I think for my sake, just so I could really take my mind off things.

We soon arrived at the Smithsonian Museum and sure enough there was a exhibit dedicated to Captain America. As soon as we walked in a loud intercom was playing around the large open room.

"A symbol to the nation. A hero to the world. The story of Captain America is one of honor, bravery and sacrifice."

Steve and I kept our faces and identity's hidden as much as possible. There was large crowd here so it was easier to blend in. I held Steve's hand in mine and we both wore baseball caps, as we walk over to the exhibition to better hide our faces from the public eye.

"Welcome to the Smithsonian. Visitor information booths are available on the second level. Denied enlistment due to poor health, Steven Rogers was chosen for a program unique in the annals of American warfare. One that would transform him into the world's first super soldier."

I looked around impressed. They had everything right about him from his past weight and height to the smallest details such as his mum and dads name.

A boy recognises us. I had spotted him out the crowd. He seemed naturally curious. I smile and place a finger to my lips, indicating for the boy to keep quiet. He soon nods and Steve squeezed my hand at the cute encounter.

We then watch some old footage of Steve himself. It felt so weird watching all this before my eyes again. I would compare it to my original memory and even some of the stuff here would jog my memory and fill my chest with a warm feeling as I remember some old experiences.

Nothing needed to be said between Steve and I. We were in a comfortable silence, reminiscing old past times.

"In this rare footage, everyone's favorite war hero, Captain America."
We keep walking and eventually find a display where there are mannequins with costumes of Steve's old commando squad. I smile fondly remembering the time when I first met them in the bar.
"Battle tested, Captain America and his Howling Commandos quickly earned their stripes. Their mission, taking down HYDRA, the Nazi rogue science division."

I laughed at the name. Bucky had given it to them after a drunken night.

Bucky.

I knew he would be here.
My heart still ached whenever I thought about him. Even though all my memories with the young boy were full of light and joy, it still pained me that he wasn't here by Steve's and my side.

I missed him more everyday.
Steve walks me over to the display of Bucky. I bite back my emotion and swallow the lump in my throat.

"Best friends since childhood, Bucky Barnes and Steven Rogers along with Allison Smith were inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield. Barnes is the only Howling Commando to give his life in service of his country. Speaking of Allison Smith. The young child prodigy went on to be a founder of the world organisation SHIELD. She built this proudly from the ground up to carry on the Captain's work. The first ever experiment being that of turning herself into a super soldier and following in her best friends footsteps to protect our modern world."

Wow. They really lay it on thick here.
I'm glad nothing was said about Steve's and my relationship. I mean it was very new back then but I was glad it was still kept secret.

Steve then tugged my hand and we entered a small room where a projection show was playing. We sat down again in silence and watched the recording.
Soon Peggy comes on the screen and I smile.