Price of Freedom is high

After a while, I decided to head off to find Steve. He had gone on a small wonder round to clear his thoughts.

I made my way outside, knowing he would have wanted some fresh air. I spend five minutes looking for the blonde until I find him on the bridge.
I slowly walk up to him, clearly interrupting his trade of thought. I knew exactly who he was thinking about because I was too.

I continue to walk until I'm side by side with him. He glances over at me shortly before looking back in the direction he was turned too. I lean against the railing beside him and look in the same direction.

"He's gonna be there, you know?" I speak quietly.
"I know." Steve mummers.
"Steve you know how much Bucky meant to me. To us. I love him so much but...as much as I want to believe he's still in there. He may not be. Look, whoever he used to be, the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind we can save. He's the kind we more, stop." I admitted.

"I don't know if I can do that." Steve sighed honestly. I turn to look at his saddened expression and reach out to hold his hand in mine. He grasps it tightly before turning to face me.
"Well, he might not give you a choice. He doesn't know us...anymore. I want to help him Steve more than anything. If I get the opportunity to bring him back I wouldn't waste a second in thinking any different. But I can't loose you too. Again. You know that. I love Bucky but I need you Steve. You have to promise me, if it comes down to it. You'll let him go." I ask.

"I-I can't promise you that Ali." Steve whispers sadly as he shakes his head.

My heart breaks knowing how much this is effecting him. My eyes fill with tears as I watch the love of my life cry, vuneable in front of me. I reach up and wipe away his tears holding his head in my hands. I lean my head against his own.
"I love you Steve. I always have and I always will. I'll protect you, just please don't hate me for it." I mumble, letting a tear fall.

"I could never hate you." Steve whispers with his eyes still closed.
I wait a second before pressing my lips to his. He immediately latches onto my waist and pulls me closer desperate for my touch. I wrap my arms around his neck and play with the ends of his hair in comfort as we kiss.

We hold on to every moment frightened we could loose one another the moment we look in a different direction. We long it out until we know it's time to go.
When I finally pull away after a few minutes I stroke Steve's cheek in my palm as he opens his eyes to look at me.
His swollen lips and bright eyes look me in the face.
"He will remember us." I say barely audible.
"He will. Gear up, it's time." Steve whispered before kissing me once more and then turning and walking off.

"What are we going to wear? We don't have our suits? You gonna wear that?" I ask him.
"No. If you're gonna fight a war, you gotta wear a uniform. You coming or not?" He yells back at me with a smile now plastered on his face.

Later that night. Steve and I snuck into the Smithsonian Museum and went straight towards the Captain America exhibit. Steve immediately grabs his old uniform and I raise my brows at him.
"And what am I supposed to wear soldier?" I smirk at him.
"I'm glad you asked. How about this?" Steve offered showing me Bucky's old uniform.

My breath hitched. That meant so much. I mean yes it would be a little big on me but I knew what Steve was doing. He wanted Bucky to remember and any chance of that was worth a try. I smile and nod my head watching him pull it off the mannequin and walk over back to me to hand it to me.
"Thank you." I whisper holding onto the dog tags in my shirt. I never took them off.
"You're more than welcome, now let's go." He said taking me hand before we rushed back off.

The next morning by early doors we all had a plan. We each had an individual role to play to make up our team. Nat was going to be acting as one of the council members who would then be later joined by Nick. Maria would be stationed in the tech room keeping us all updated through coms. Sam, Steve and I each had a card to place into the Helicarrier. We arrived before dawn to easily sneak in. We waited until they were about to launch the ships to finally step up.

As a Tech member goes and opens the door we're stationed behind. He is soon faced with Steve, Sam, Maria and I on the other side. Sam and Maria point their guns at him, while I tap my arc to turn on my suit. I then hold up my wrist to initiate my tasers smirking slightly. Silently threatening them to make a move.

"Excuse us." Steve asks, making the tech guy hold his hands up and steps aside to let us all enter.
We step right ahead until Steve is over the control panel. I pass him the microphone and watch as he takes it confidently and switches it on, to talk over all the speakers around the SHIELD campus.

"Attention, all SHIELD agents. This is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me and Allison Smith your creator over the last few days, some of you were even ordered to hunt us down. But I think it's time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If it wasn't for Allison standing right here next to me SHIELD would already be no more. She's saved every single one of you. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." I smile proudly to Steve as he finishes his speech.
"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" Sam asked smugly. Steve didn't reply and just smiled before leading us out leaving Maria to take control of coms.

As soon as we headed outside we heard Maria through our ear pieces.
"They're initiating launch." She told us.
The fight was truly about to begin.