The Second Snap

I held my husband's gaze, taking in his every feature wanting to remember him perfectly just in case. His blue eyes bore into my brown ones and once he disappeared I feel like he took my supply of oxygen with him.

Just 60 seconds Ali, you can do this.

"One." I breath out, trying to make everything seem ok.
"Two." I count, not wanting to go too fast.
"T-Three." I choke.

I do this all the way up to 60, for the whole minute. After I say every number I remember a memory special to Steve and I.
"59." I speak loudly into the empty compound arena just as I picture in my mind Steve and I saying our vows at our wedding and then him finding out I was pregnant for the first time.

I shut my eyes tight and don't dare open them as I say the last second and push the button to make them return.
"60." I whisper.

I keep my eyes clamped shut and don't hear anything for a whole second making me want to fall to my knees and break down but I then hear several gasps and I rapidly open my eyes to see everyone standing there with their helmets off.

I breath out shakily and bite back a sob as I sprint over to the machine and up the steps straight into my soldier's arms.

He only had chance to open them slightly before I jumped into them and wrapped my legs around his waist as he lifted me up and my arms went around his neck as I buried my face into his neck and let my tears fall.

He chuckled lightly and rubbed up and down my back.
"I'm here Ali." He whispered as he planted me back on my feet.
I pull away to see him smiling down at me. He brushes my fallen tears away but I can't help but cry, as the emotions I pent up in that 60 seconds just burst out of me.
"That was the longest minute of my life." I choke out.

He leans down to brush his lips with mine lovingly but I desperately grab onto his neck and pull him down forcefully onto my lips. He hungrily kisses me back with as much force and we pull away only to breath.

I then realise everyone else in the room fully and turn to face them still in Steve's arms.
"Are you all ok?" I ask checking over everyone.

"Did we get them all?" Bruce asks quickly as everyone just gazes around making sure everyone is safe and here.

I look around again but a feeling creeps up in my chest. I look around again and again and again but it's true.

Nat wasn't here. Where was she?

I felt like someone had literally just taken all my oxygen again and choked me.

"You telling me this'll actually work?" I hear Rhodey faintly in my ear but the pain becomes too much and I let out a sob as I fall out of Steve's arm and onto the floor.

"Ali? Ali! What's wrong?" Steve rushes down to me and cradles me into his chest as he holds my face in his hands trying to analyse what just happened.

I look over to Clint who also just falls to the floor in a heap, overwhelmed by all the emotion. I can't imagine how he must feel. He watched her go.

Everyone else looks over to Clint and the silence is deafening.

"Clint, where's Nat?" Bruce finally speaks up as I bite my lip hard to prevent my sobs.

The silence from Clint tells them all they need to know. The mission was completed but at a dire cost. Sadness overtakes everyone but I feel worse. Nat and I had such a strong bond. Ever since Clint and I gave her a second chance, took her under our wings and into SHIELD when she had nothing. I raised and taught her. She became my best friend, partner and ally. She was my maid of honour. Godmother to my children and above all my sister. She was the second person to meet my unborn baby. I was so thankful I at least told her about that.