Chapter 1

March 30, 2010

"Wait, please!"

Elijah Mikaelson stopped before he could exit the tomb, having just compelled Katherine Pierce to remain there until he saw fit for her to leave. Turning on his heel, he looked at the desperate face of Katherine Pierce, and quirked a brow.

"I-I know something about them," she said desperately. "Information!"

The Original looked down at his suit, adjusting the cuff of his sleeve. "My dear Katerina, I am well aware of everything that I need to know about them. I am resourceful, as well." Efficient as always, Elijah already had Jonas and Luka Martin at his beck and call, and they still had Bonnie's trust at the moment. He turned to leave, but Katherine wasn't about to let him walk out without trying to save herself first.

"Did your sources tell you about the girl?" Katherine blurted out. "The one they're keeping in the cellar?"

He stopped dead in his tracks. "Excuse me?" he said softly.

"They- they found a girl. She's under a Sleeping Spell."

Elijah ran his tongue slowly over his lips. That was something he had been trying to figure out. Earlier, he had received word from Luka that he had convinced Bonnie that they had unspelled the moonstone, and the young witch had believed him. However, he had made a point to tell Elijah that she had been asking about removing Sleeping Spells, though she had refused to tell him why.

"Continue," he prompted.

Katherine trembled as she leaned against the barrier that kept her from exiting the tomb. "They found her when they were looking for me back in December," she went on. "They thought I was in here- in the tomb with the other vampires. These tunnels- they're connected with the old Lockwood cellar, it leads into a distant cave and they went to investigate, thinking I had wandered off. They- they found something invisible obstructing their path and they were able to find that it was a coffin. When they moved it, the spell was broken, and in it they found a girl. She can't possibly be older than twenty. The little witch has tried to break the spell time and time again and she can't do it. Her grandmother passed the day they opened the tomb and she's had no guidance whatsoever."

Elijah stared at her suspiciously. "Tell me, Katerina, how did you come across this information?"

"When I turned their friend- the blonde- into a vampire. She told me. Isobel's ex-husband, the teacher, he found runes on it and they read 'dark,' 'moon,' 'victory,' 'werewolf,' and 'witch.' He's certain he translated it correctly."

He rubbed his chin. "So you attempted to gather a vampire, a werewolf, the doppelgänger, and the moonstone for Niklaus in order to buy your freedom. You have since failed. I have the moonstone in my possession and if anyone is going to be in control of this ritual, it will be me. What do you believe this girl will yield in benefit?"

"She's a hybrid, Elijah, I'm certain of it," pleaded Katherine. "They don't know that, but we've all heard the legends, haven't we? The werewolf-witch who disappeared under mysterious circumstances."

"Yes, I had to dissuade Niklaus very heavily from searching for her. As far as we knew, it was a complete myth. No such person ever existed."

"This is her! They're estimating that she's been in that coffin for a thousand years, Elijah. The dress she's wearing- she's from your time. When you were humans. If she's the hybrid..."

Elijah knew exactly what she meant. Long ago, when he had been trying to save her from her fate at the hands of Klaus, he had acquired an elixir, but for the first time, he had heard the legend of an existing werewolf-witch hybrid that had vanished. What he had heard was that if the hybrid could be located, and if the hybrid performed the spell to unbind Klaus, then the doppelgänger wouldn't need to die- all that would be necessary would be their blood. One hybrid unbinding the other would ensure the spell worked, and Elijah could have his other witches prepared to take down Klaus without them first straining themselves over a ritual.