Chapter 51

"Why is she here, Elijah?"

The instant she could no longer tolerate their embrace, she'd pulled away, facing the wall.

"She is a psychologist, in a sense," Elijah said simply. "I believe she may be able to persuade Niklaus to let Rebekah live. In the meantime..." he got up and adjusted the cuffs of his suit. "I need to find Sabine, also known as Celeste. She and Hayley did not appear last night."

Esmeray huffed. "Maybe Hayley decided to cut her into pieces and scatter her over the Bayou."

Elijah refrained from smiling. "I would hope she would not do such a thing, even as angry as she is about what those witches did to you. You see, Celeste was able to enter Sabine's body because her spirit has been jumping through bodies since I saw her dead, centuries ago."

"Like your mother jumped through bodies?"

"Yes. Now, I intend to coax Monique Deveraux into performing a spell that will ensure Celeste does not enter another body if she chooses to rid herself of Sabine. However, I am also intent on finding her so that I may speak to her."

Esmeray shuffled to her feet, already knowing what he was going to ask. "Just leave your blood in a glass and I'll do a Locator Spell. I'll text you about what I find."

He nodded appreciatively. "Will you be going to meet her as well?"

"Is this you offering me a chance to enact my revenge?"

"Depends on where we find her." This time, he did smile. "Know that I am grateful that you have done so much for our family. My dear, you are free to go wherever and whenever you need to. Do not remain here if it brings you pain."

Esmeray subconsciously wiped the dried tears from her cheeks. "I don't know yet. I imagine that as soon as I see Hayley, I'll forget how much I dislike it here, and I'll want to stay. At least until the baby is born."

"Just know you don't have to if you don't want to."

She assented with her head, and he vanished, leaving her able to hear a distant conversation between Cami and Klaus. She didn't pay them any attention— she didn't want to. She grabbed the materials she needed for the spell and went into the dining room to find Elijah had left his blood in a glass. Spreading a map of New Orleans over the table, Esmeray did quick work of the spell, and was pleased with the outcome.

"She's in the Bayou," she said when she called Elijah once she was on her way there in the back of a cab. "It's hard to pin down the exact location but I'm almost entirely certain that she's near the cabin I stayed at with Jackson. Can you meet me at the place where you parked your car that time? So we can walk up together."

"Of course," he told her. "Monique is nearly finished with the spell." There was a pause. "Did you speak to my brother?"

"Should I have spoken to your brother?"

"No, you shouldn't feel like you have to do anything. I was merely wondering."

Esmeray sighed. "He was still talking to Cami when I left. I don't know if he cared that I was there or not. Or if he ever even knew that I was in that sanatorium."

Elijah ran his tongue over his lips. "I told him that I rescued you. But granted the pain inflicted by the cursed blade, I expect he was too weak to come and see you."

She tried to pretend this didn't bother her. "Okay. I'll see you in the Bayou." She hung up, cutting Elijah off before he could say anything else to her.

He arrived just as the cab dropped her off. She paid her fare and looked up as Elijah smoothed down his hair, which had only become slightly untidy in the process of speeding from the Lafayette Cemetery to the Bayou. Together, the two walked up to where the wolves surrounded Hayley, Eve, and Sabine. Or Celeste— Esmeray wasn't sure what to call her anymore. The woman's hands were bound, and she was holding a mason jar filled with murky green liquid.