Chapter 59

They went to find Elijah.

Granted that Klaus was trying to locate Davina, Esmeray didn't think he'd be very much up for deviating from that to save a few kids.

And truth be told, this wasn't all that bad to her.

"I sound like a psychopath for saying this," she said while Aiden drove them to Marcel's place— apparently the location where Elijah was training a new vampire. "But... is it really that bad?"

Hayley, who knew her well, understood why she felt that way. Aiden was slightly appalled. "They're just kids!" he said incredulously.

"Well, they are a bit young, but not much younger than the rest of us were when it happened to us in my time. Aside from me, the special case, anyone aged fifteen to eighteen could participate to trigger their curse. Which, I guess shouldn't be called a curse in this context since the whole reason behind the ritual was that it was a gift. But it wasn't bad for them. The first transformation sucks for every wolf but back then, we had so many things that we did to help everyone gain control of their wolf natures. I reestablished some of those practices around the country. After their first full moon, they could be able to turn painlessly like more experienced wolves. The one thing I do have to say— why kill opposers and not criminals? It would be better for the kids to trigger their curse by ridding the world of some creep who hurt innocent people."

"The thing is, he's not getting them to murder criminals," said Aiden. "I don't want my brother to go through that yet. He thinks he wants to be a wolf but what if he regrets it later on? It's supposed to be a gift but most times, it isn't. I was stuck as a wolf for a really long time and it fucking sucked. I won't let him suffer when he's not even sixteen yet."

Esmeray shrugged. "I guess we're saving the kids, then."

Hayley had to stifle a laugh, and Esmeray heard her cough in a way that sounded like she said 'Fuck them kids' (as a joke, obviously).

"We'll save them for Aiden's sake," Esmeray sighed. "I'm just saying that the ritual itself isn't bad. The actual problem lies in the fact that Finn wants them to serve him. But I don't understand why he thinks this ritual is the key to that. It's not like they'll be sired to him. In fact, I think this would have backfired even if we didn't help them. He forces them to kill, they get saddled with guilt, their first transformation will suck, then they get a moonlight ring, but where's the gain? Like, here's your one time dose of pain, let me free you from it, but in return, you have to be my soldier and eventually die for my cause? That's stupid. Even a kid would know that's unnatural."

Aiden looked at her through the rearview mirror before casting a look at Hayley, who was smiling to herself. At least Esmeray kept it fun.

"I'm just saying," Esmeray said, holding her hands up in surrender. "I already agreed to save the children."

"You have zero motherly bones in your body," Aiden teased once he pulled up at the building.

"I have motherly bones," said Esmeray, frowning his way. "Just... not at this exact moment. I had some the other day when I was helping these kids in Rhode Island."

"Channel those bones, please and thank you."

Esmeray rolled her eyes and followed Hayley up to Marcel's loft. They walked in to the sight of Elijah, pinned to the wall, a young woman keeping him there while her hand was in his chest, clutching his heart.

"Elijah?" said Hayley immediately.

The woman and Elijah quickly leapt apart. Esmeray could sense that Hayley had gotten jealous, and she contained a smirk as they moved down the stairs toward them.