Chapter 46

She wasn't surprised to wake up in chains.

"Really?" she wheezed, seeing that atop her head, a bucket dangled, dripping drops of wolfsbane onto her head. "Wonderful..."

She tried to tug at the chains, but she could hardly feel her arms. She didn't know how long she'd been out, but it felt like it certainly had been awhile. With the way her head ached, she expected she'd been knocked out several times before now, when she was apparently going to be allowed to remain conscious.

"Esmeray Poldark," said Marcel, coming forward and clapping his hands together. "Finally awake. I heard you healed slowly, but I didn't think it was that slow."

She gave him a tight-lipped smile. "Marcel Gerard. Finally letting me see your true self. I heard you were better than this, but I guess I was wrong. For someone who proclaims to be better than Klaus, you sure do seem to imitate him a lot."

Marcel said nothing about her comment. "I guess you might be wondering why you're here," he said. "It's simple. I want to talk."

"You want to talk? Then why do I have wolfsbane dripping onto me? Why restrain me?"

"Don't pretend you don't know. I've heard all about how your temper causes hurricanes in my city."

"Your city," she scoffed. "You think because you were born here, this is your city? Let me tell you something, Marcel. In my time, this territory belonged to the Crescent Wolf Pack. Before that? I don't know. If this city belongs to anyone, it's to the wolves. But no, they're suffering from a curse that funnily enough, seems to have been done by inhabitants of this town. You, specifically."

Marcel was impressed she knew this. "Who told you?"

"The wolves. Besides, other Packs have heard about what happened here. They steer clear. But let's not act like we're here to talk about wolves. What do you really want?"

"I know about Hayley and how she's pregnant with Klaus's kid. I was pretty surprised to hear this considering how Klaus introduced you as his girl. What's the truth?"

"I am his girlfriend. And at the same time, Hayley is the mother of his child. What do you care? You obviously didn't like him as a father. Don't tell me that you're concerned for the kid's safety. Where's Hayley? What did you do to her?"

"I promise, Hayley is perfectly safe, and so is the baby. I just wonder why someone like you would be helping her."

"I get it. You're going to try and make me realize that I have some hidden resentment for Hayley. I'm over my jealousy of her, Marcel. If your little spy had informed you properly, you'd know that she and I are friends."

"Friends? Will she want to be your friend after she learns about you and Klaus's sick plan?"

Esmeray scoffed. "Sick plan? Sick plan to what?"

"The baby. You know."

"Please, if I wanted a child of my own, I'd very easily sleep with Klaus and end up knocked up. Don't be accusing me of things like that. Like I said, if your spy had informed you properly, you'd know exactly what's been going on with all of us."

Marcel raised an eyebrow and pulled up a chair that'd been off to the side so that he could sit on it. "So you don't know about the baby being able to sire hybrids?"

The werewitch stared at him in disbelief. "It can what?"

"I take it you were telling the truth, then. You know what I did with Hayley? I gave her to your mutual friend Tyler Lockwood to test a theory. He didn't hurt her. He just proved that the kid she's carrying has the power to make more hybrids. You know Klaus better than most people, wouldn't you say? How do you think he's going to react with this news? He'll want to make more hybrids."