Chapter 29

Esmeray got ready to perform the Unlinking Spell the next day.

Klaus had left early in the morning to get Finn, having asked Rebekah to accompany him. Esmeray indulged in a quick breakfast before going to the materials table, where she had almost everything she needed to unlink the siblings from each other.

She thought she was going to be completely alone in the meantime, but a knock on the door alerted her to unexpected company. When she peered through the peephole, she saw Sage.

"So you're the werewitch that everyone's raving about," said Sage, looking her up and down as she walked in, not needing an invitation to step past the threshold. "Well, the rumors are really inaccurate. I heard someone say you were a six-foot-tall redhead with a nose ring."

Esmeray blinked several times before laughing awkwardly. "I admit, I'm still surprised how information passes between people now." She felt slightly unsettled knowing that word of her presence in Mystic Falls was spreading.

"Hey, it's better than everyone knowing you're a tiny little thing that's cute as a button," said Sage, stopping at the foot of the stairs, looking upwards toward the second floor. "You've got some weird witchcraft going on, you know?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, when Klaus contacted me an hour ago, I thought I was in for another round of being told how trashy I was, nine hundred years ago. Instead, I was asked to come here so that I could see Finn again, and I received... a very strange cluster of spoken words that sounded like an apology from the bastard hybrid himself. I imagine you're the one who told him to play nicely with me if he wanted me to do him a favor."

Esmeray shrugged, though her cheeks went slightly pink. "I just pitched the idea. He's the one who chose to be nicer."

"Do you have him under a trance or something?"

"No. His mind is too strong for me to do that. I wouldn't even be able to attempt it until I have full control over my powers."

"Jeez. And people are out there saying you can stir up hurricanes and thunderstorms..."

"Oh, I can do that, but it's unintentional. It's just me releasing a whole lot of power. Mind Spells are my specialty, but they're hard on Originals. Especially someone as stubborn as Klaus."

The two didn't talk much more after that. While Esmeray worked on nitpicking every part of the spell she'd prepared, Sage sort of just walked around exploring, and every now and then asked whether she could get some food or wine. Esmeray gave her permission to do so, since she knew Klaus preferred bourbon and scotch a million times to wine. She had no idea that at that same moment in time, Damon and the others were meeting and distributing white oak stakes amongst each other, to try and kill the Originals before Esmeray managed to unlink them.

Sage was upstairs when Klaus and Rebekeh threw Finn through the main entrance and into the foyet. "You can't force me to help you," snarled Finn as Klaus walked in, looking quite smug.

"Oh, I most likely could," he said, already hearing Sage's footsteps as she came back down. "But why force when I could persuade?" He gestured up at the stairs, and Finn turned to see Sage smiling at him. "Hello, Finn."

"Sage!" he cried in surprise, getting up and rushing over to her, pulling her into a tight hug.

"What do you know, true love prevails," Rebekah told her brother as Esmeray walked over to them.

Klaus smirked. "It does occasionally have its uses." He looked down at his phone briefly before saying, "Easier than torturing him."

"I have something to do," said Rebekah, handing Esmeray a vial of her blood. "What else do you need from me for this spell?"