Chapter 30

They didn't speak of it.

As soon as he'd stopped crying, he'd tapped her wrist to let her know that he wanted her to release him. She did so, and he turned to face her, wishing to embrace her, but knowing he wouldn't be able to stop himself from going further. He kissed her forehead gently before speeding away, leaving her alone in front of the nearly dying fire.

The following morning, he left a note, telling her he was going to run an errand, without specification. She had her breakfast, then checked her phone, seeing that Elena had texted her, asking if they could talk on the phone.

"Hi," said Esmeray quietly. "What is it?"

"Esmeray, I'm sorry," said Elena sincerely. "I didn't know they were going to stall you, they told me that they wanted to ask you for help with Alaric. Which... is why I'm calling today. You don't have to say yes. But we know your specialty is Mind Spells, and Bonnie's didn't work. He has the last white oak stake and if we don't get it to Klaus, Stefan and Damon will die."

Esmeray let out a sigh. "I'm only going to help because you were the one that asked, and I know you just want what's best for Ric. After that... I don't know."

"I know we all screwed up big time. I'm sorry. I understand if you don't want to help after this."

"I just... I just think it's time for me to go explore, Elena. I stayed here thinking I was going to genuinely be happy. I thought Damon and I would be in a relationship. But this has just become a place where I feel... like I'm doing the same things over and over. I want to go and have Anya help me with my ritual. She offered to travel at my side to see if we can find some Poldark wolves. As far as she knows, I'm the last pure one left, but I still want to look, and see if I can find even one mixed wolf with a drop of Poldark blood. After that... we'll see. I know Klaus doesn't want to stay here forever and I might choose to follow him in his travels. All I know is that I want to start doing things for myself. It's been long enough since I awoke from my slumber. I'm ready to leave."

She arrived at the Salvatore House within the hour. Alaric was being kept in the dungeon that her coffin had once resided in. By then, Damon and Elena had left (apparently to get Jeremy) and Esmeray walked in to find Stefan and Alaric drinking bourbon together.

"Well, don't let me interrupt this cozy little get together," she said, raising a brow when they stopped drinking at the sight of her.

"You came," said Stefan, looking surprised.

She cast him a cheeky smile. "Not for you." She looked at Alaric. "You understand what you're agreeing to, don't you? I know I've already seen into your mind in the past, but I'll be going in deeper this time, and it won't be pleasant."

"I get it," he said, nodding his head. "What do you need me to do?"

"Keep drinking, for one," she said, sitting beside Stefan. "It'll be easier on the both of us if you're a bit intoxicated."

There were several minutes of silence as the two men continued to drink. Alaric cleared his throat, checking the time. "So um, they should almost be in Denver by now."

"They should," said Stefan, leaning back and glancing at his phone. "Haven't heard from them. Elena's worried about him, knowing that she can't count on his ring anymore."

"Who knows?" said Alaric with a weak laugh. "Maybe his alter ego is a pot smoking, hippie pacifist."

Esmeray laughed dryly, and Alaric continued, "I can't say I thought mine would be so hostile and militant."

"That actually makes perfect sense," said Stefan. "Your wife left you to become a vampire and your girlfriend was killed by one."

Alaric winced. "You must really hate me. Here I am, the failed hunter slash drinking buddy of vampires."