Chapter 42

Esmeray didn't trust the New Orleans witches at all.

First of all, who the hell was letting them think that they could just arrive unannounced to 'check on Hayley?' This house belonged to Klaus and Rebekah, not them. Obviously, neither of the Originals seemed to mind, but Esmeray was really starting to get peeved by the random arrivals.

Second of all, why the hell did the witches think they could exclude Esmeray from everything? As soon as Agnes had arrived, she'd suggested for Esmeray to go occupy herself elsewhere.

"I was under the impression that Elijah told you about why I'm here," she said with a cheeky smile as she sat beside Hayley. "I'm the one who understands the baby, not you. If you want to shove me aside, prove to me that you're qualified to be the doctor to a werewolf carrying a tribrid."

Agnes shot her a look of disdain, but said nothing, so Hayley stepped in. "I told you, I feel great," she said, trying to sound enthusiastic to lessen the tension. "Esmeray checks on me whenever I feel anything that I deem to be abnormal."

Esmeray looked over to where Rebekah was typing away furiously on a laptop on the other side of the room, rolling her eyes when Agnes clasped her hands together and tried to cast Hayley a motherly look. "You are overdue for a real checkup, with a real doctor."

"You want to know how many times I was a midwife?" asked Esmeray sharply. "Nearly fifty times, since the age of five. It's a magical baby. No human ultrasound is going to give any insight about how it's doing. I have college level knowledge about human physiology. Maybe I can take the memories of an Obstetrician and Gynecologist to do a better job. At any rate, it will be better than whatever you can provide for her."

"I can't just pop into the Quarter for an ultrasound, anyway," said Hayley. "A pregnant werewolf escorted by a witch and a hybrid? Nothing to see here!"

"A lot of women would kill to have a child," said Rebekah sourly from the other couch. "It strikes me as odd that you're not taking better care of yours."

"We don't know which humans out there have been compelled!" said Esmeray hotly. "We can't just go into the Quarter. Marcel's henchmen recognize me."

"I know a doctor out in the Bayou, off the beaten path," said Agnes patiently, though she was clearly nervous, considering that the house kept shaking every time Esmeray spoke. Hayley and Rebekah were used to it by now. "Now, I took the liberty of making an appointment for you, Hayley. Tonight, after-hours, just us. Vampires will never get word of it. In the meantime," she looked at Esmeray. "You can create the distraction we need, just in case anyone tries to follow us. Go to one of the doctors in the Quarter and take their memories as needed. Then, we won't have to go do this again."

That was just too suspicious for Esmeray. Oh, yes, you go over there while I take this girl over here. "Absolutely not," Esmeray snapped, the coffee mugs on the table shattering and spilling onto the carpet. "Wherever Hayley goes, I'm going. You can't do magic. I can. You don't know the wolves of the Bayou. I do. I got attacked in the Bayou and my friend was murdered. We don't know how the vampires pass information, but I wouldn't trust you going alone with Hayley."

Agnes frowned. "Well, Hayley, it's your choice."

"Let's just do the Bayou baby doctor this once," said Hayley in a bit of a strained voice as the smell of coffee filled the room. "Esmeray, you can come."

"Good," said the hybrid, glaring at Agnes, who didn't look happy. "But if you have a problem with it," she got to her feet. "We can sort that out right here and right now. I don't care who the hell I have to kill to keep this kid safe."

"I am trying to help Hayley and the baby," said Agnes pointedly as she, too, got to her feet. "She is linked to Sophie, do you really think I'd try to hurt her?"