Chapter 60

Mikael loved to play games.

Klaus's very potent nose had gotten them through the woods and to a clearing where several college students were having a party with a bonfire. Cami's blood was smeared on a nearby tree, and it was obvious the party attendees had witnessed it. The problem was, the students weren't doing anything about it.

They were like zombies, silent and still, watching them walk up.

"Did you honestly think to hold me with a blade forged from pain?" one of the students snapped at Klaus.

"Unlike the weak," said another, "unlike you, I gain strength from pain."

"Soon," the first continued, "you will know the taste of white oak as it pierces your heart."

Klaus was mildly amused. "It's very clever, Mikael! Compelling the locals to say to my face what you dare not? Enjoy the theatrics! They only delay the inevitable."

The first student launched himself at Klaus, but the hybrid easily cut his head clean off. The others followed suit, but this time, Esmeray took control of the situation.

She stomped one foot down and brought her hands upward, parallel to each other. The fire flared up, and when she flicked her fingers, different tongues burst out, creating barriers that the students couldn't pass through.

"Just burn them, would you?" said Klaus, going back to the tree to try and pick up the scent of blood again.

"They've been compelled, Klaus," Esmeray answered. "I'm not going to kill them. You already decapitated one. And dying by fire isn't fun."

"They have been compelled, love, which means they will leap into the flame to attempt to attack me, anyway."

He was right. Several of the students tried to jump through the fire to get to Klaus, and had let out piercing screams as they started to burn, the flames fueled by all the alcohol on and around them.

Gritting her teeth, Esmeray put out the fire entirely. Every attendee turned on her and started to run as if to attack her, but she raised her pointer finger, freezing them in place. One by one, she moved around, tapping their foreheads and knocking them unconscious, simultaneously removing their compulsion.

Klaus was impressed. "Look at you, love," he said, putting his arm around her when the last student collapsed. "Here." He bit into his wrist to help her replenish her strength, and she took it. "Has Elijah answered you?"

"No," she said dejectedly, holding up her phone. "We should keep moving. He can't be too far from here."

Klaus's phone began to ring before they moved. It was Hayley. "I'm a tad busy," answered Klaus, gesturing around at the scene as if she could see it. "What is it?"

"Something has happened to Elijah," she said shakily from the other line. "He was supposed to be our decoy last night, and now he's vanished. There's blood everywhere— werewolf and vampire. There's a trail. I need you to help us track it."

Klaus sighed. "Well, as much as I might like to help you find my brother, I have more pressing matters at the moment."

"What's more important than your own brother?" Hayley demanded.

"My life?" said Klaus, as if it was obvious. "Esmeray's life? Davina had Mikael on a magical leash, and it broke. Now Mikael has Tunde's blade, the white oak stake, and Cami. We're going to get her back, and then, I'm going to end this. Either Mikael or I will be ash by day's end. If you do find my brother, please, tell him we could do with a hand."