Chapter 86

The bone was gone.

"I'm going to go jump off the roof," said Esmeray, putting her head in her hands and letting out a frustrated sigh. "Damn it! I didn't even think to protect the bone when she had me bleeding everywhere..."

"It's not your fault, love," said Klaus, though he was irritated (not with her, just at the general situation). "We still have our hands on one of the bones. We ought to get the other."

"Yeah, I think we might need Marcel's help with that. What did you all do today when I wasn't here?"

A lot, apparently. Elijah had impulsively murdered four girls to help Vincent re-establish the Ancestors' link to New Orleans. Lucky for him, his emergency Harvest Ritual had worked. Freya and Keelin had been attacked, and some of the Hollow's men had been able to enter the Compound. Lucky for them, Marcel had come in to help and had kept Hope safe while she'd been playing in the dungeons.

"So the only good thing that happened today is that Freya and Keelin kissed, basically," Esmeray said as she, Marcel, and Elijah rushed to the St. Ailbhe Cemetery to try and get the final bone. They knew the Hollow had a head start because she'd been in Esmeray's mind, even if Esmeray hadn't even known that the bone had been moved from where Alaric had told her it would be.

"Unfortunately," said Elijah with a tight-lipped smile. "Hayley tells me Hope was even hearing... voices, when she was observing the jaw bone earlier. She and Niklaus will likely be investigating that now."

"This day is just getting worse," muttered Esmeray, wanting to bash her head against the back of Marcel's seat. But she also didn't want to ruin his sports car, so she didn't.

It didn't even get better at the cemetery. They went in, and found it empty, which already didn't bode well. Moving toward the larger structures, they located the Del Robles crypt, finding a gate at the entrance that read 'Our hearts will always defend this land,' in Spanish.

"We're going to have to look through thousands of bones," sighed Marcel as they moved into where all the bodies were stored.

"I think I can try a spell to find it faster," said Esmeray. "Freya told me she did something similar the other day. I had one of the bones, I can find where that same energy is concentrated and get the bone to come to us."

She held up her hands and concentrated, and a femur came whirling out of one of the tombs. Esmeray only just caught it before it hit Marcel in the face, and put it in his hands, patting it gently. "There we go. One extra large chicken bone to contrast with the tiny one that was stolen from me."

Elijah was looking at her in disbelief. "Marcel," he said, directing his attention to the young vampire. "Give it to me."

Marcel blinked, then held onto the bone tighter. "Yeah, I don't think so."

"I'm not going to ask you again," said Elijah a bit more sharply.

"I want him to have it," said Esmeray, cutting him off before he could come closer to Marcel. "This thing is gigantic, and its energy will be stronger than that of the jaw. We shouldn't keep them in the same place."

Marcel gestured to her as if to say, 'exactly.' "The smart play is to keep them divided, yet still in the hands of an ally you trust. So I guess you're just gonna have to trust me, Elijah."

Elijah slammed him into the wall, the bone clattering out of Marcel's hands. The Original was holding up the knife Freya and Keelin had made, and Esmeray groaned in annoyance, picking up the bone and holding it to her chest. "I don't have to trust anyone," Elijah told Marce in a clipped tone.